Hamilton: Mercedes are ready to win

Mar 31, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton AP

Lewis Hamilton has finally admitted that he believes Mercedes are in a position to win a grand prix in 2013.

Throughout pre-season and even during the first two races, Hamilton denied that he was aiming to win this year, but following a strong third place finish in Malaysia, he appears to have changed his tune.

When asked by Autosport if he could win this season, Hamilton said “definitely.”

“I think the Malaysia performance proves that if we keep going in the direction we are heading, then we can win a race at some stage this year.”

Hamilton even suggested that Mercedes could have won last Sunday’s race in Malaysia had he not needed to save fuel.

“Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough fuel in the car. I was fuel saving at the end like you would not believe. I was coasting everywhere.

“I’m sure if we were all on the same fuel it would have been a different situation, so I’m confident about that. “

Mercedes certainly proved that they could compete with the front runners in Malaysia, finishing in third and fourth, but their pace in the opening race in Australia does undermine Hamilton’s beliefs. However, until Mercedes entered fuel saving mode towards the end of the Malaysian GP, they did manage to stick with both Red Bull drivers.

The result certainly bodes well for the team, and relying they can continue to develop the W04, one would expect the Silver Arrows to be challenging for victories in 2013.

1. icemanpjn - Mar 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Over the winter I was critical of Lewis going to Mercedes because they can’t possibly take him to a podium. So far I’ve been happy to be wrong. I would really like to see them win one.

• apexassassin - Mar 31, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Yeah I thought it was a dubious move, but now it’s looks like sheer genius.

2. apexassassin - Mar 31, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I bet they would win a race this year. Though I was thinking Monaco or Singapore in the wet would be more likely but they’ve shown very good pace in all sorts of conditions.

I’m curious to see how the do when they actually put enough fuel in the car to finish the race!

3. techmeister1 - Mar 31, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Mercedes has been ready to win for years but they haven’t kept pace with car development throughout the season.

• apexassassin - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Well, they won last year already, but like you say, they’ve not developed the car throughout the entire season and let’s not forget had abyssmal mechanical woes.

Though, cutting short last year’s development only increased their performance this year imo.

Video from NASCAR America

Jimmie Johnson must pick up the pace
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches