Mar 31, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has finally admitted that he believes Mercedes are in a position to win a grand prix in 2013.
Throughout pre-season and even during the first two races, Hamilton denied that he was aiming to win this year, but following a strong third place finish in Malaysia, he appears to have changed his tune.
When asked by Autosport if he could win this season, Hamilton said “definitely.”
“I think the Malaysia performance proves that if we keep going in the direction we are heading, then we can win a race at some stage this year.”
Hamilton even suggested that Mercedes could have won last Sunday’s race in Malaysia had he not needed to save fuel.
“Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough fuel in the car. I was fuel saving at the end like you would not believe. I was coasting everywhere.
“I’m sure if we were all on the same fuel it would have been a different situation, so I’m confident about that. “
Mercedes certainly proved that they could compete with the front runners in Malaysia, finishing in third and fourth, but their pace in the opening race in Australia does undermine Hamilton’s beliefs. However, until Mercedes entered fuel saving mode towards the end of the Malaysian GP, they did manage to stick with both Red Bull drivers.
The result certainly bodes well for the team, and relying they can continue to develop the W04, one would expect the Silver Arrows to be challenging for victories in 2013.
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 1
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)