Mar 31, 2013, 9:10 PM EST
The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series’ highly anticipated dirt-track race this summer at Ohio’s famous Eldora Speedway now features one of the best dirt racers in the sport.
Tracy Hines, a two-time USAC champion and winner of 85 dirt events across all three of USAC’s major divisions, will return to Truck racing for the special event in a Toyota Tundra fielded by ThorSport Racing. Hines competed in the NCWTS from 2003 to 2005, collecting two Top 5 and three Top 10 finishes over 52 starts (48 of which came with the ThorSport team).
“The realization that a major NASCAR series is going back to dirt is super exciting,” Hines said in a statement. “What is it going to be? I don’t think anybody knows, until we run under that checkered flag, what we’re actually going to see. So that’s definitely huge.”
Hines is also a master of Eldora’s half-mile track, winning there 12 times in his USAC career. One more victory at the Tony Stewart-owned facility would put him in a tie on its all-time wins list with Jack Miller.
With all of his knowledge of Eldora and dirt racing in general, ThorSport is banking on Hines to be a threat for the win come July 24.
“We’re excited to have a driver with Tracy’s ability in one of our trucks for a truly unique event that we feel will really highlight what he’s done at that venue as well as what he can do in the series’ first dirt race,” said team general manager David Pepper.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 51
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0