Mar 31, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Russian racer Vitaly Petrov, who was dropped by Caterham following the 2012 campaign, is currently looking at a potential return to Formula One next season.
The “Vyborg Rocket” and his manager, Oksana Kosachenko, split apart when the former lost out on his drive and the latter was kept on at Caterham as its new commercial director. But despite those setbacks, Petrov isn’t ready to give up on Formula One.
“Of course, I’ll try to find some outlets for negotiations with different teams,” he said in comments to F1News.ru. “At first, there was stress but now I’m more or less rested and set to work at looking for a place for 2014.”
“I will sort out who works with me and for whom I’ll be working next year. There will be some changes that I do not want to take about it but in the near future it will become clearer.”
Petrov’s 11th place finish in last year’s season finale at Brazil enabled Caterham to steal 10th place (and a substantial amount of money) away from Marussia in the all-important constructor’s championship. But despite that accomplishment and besting then-teammate Heikki Kovalainen in four of the last five events of 2012, both men wound up being replaced by sophomore Charles Pic and rookie Giedo van der Garde for 2013.
Petrov also has two years of experience higher up the pecking order at Renault (2010, 2011).
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 0
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)