Apr 1, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
Sergio Perez has made a strong start with McLaren according to team principal Martin Whitmarsh.
“He has done a solid job,” Whitmarsh told Autosport. “It is easy to get rattled coming to a team like McLaren when you don’t have a quick enough car.”
“He is an intelligent guy. He is incredibly young but again in my mind he has not put a foot wrong.”
It has not been an easy change for Perez who joined McLaren from Sauber. His former team did not have a simulator for him to work on, whereas McLaren have one of the most sophisticated simulators of any F1 team and rely on it heavily for development.
The team has also had to contend with a problematic car in the MP4-28 which has fallen well short of expectations.
Perez failed to make the top ten shoot-out in qualifying for his first race with the team and finished out of the points.
He took a ninth-place finish in Malaysia after trying to run a three-stop strategy without success, forcing a late pit stop. Perez scored an impressive second for Sauber the year before.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52