Apr 1, 2013, 10:10 AM EST
Sergio Perez has made a strong start with McLaren according to team principal Martin Whitmarsh.
“He has done a solid job,” Whitmarsh told Autosport. “It is easy to get rattled coming to a team like McLaren when you don’t have a quick enough car.”
“He is an intelligent guy. He is incredibly young but again in my mind he has not put a foot wrong.”
It has not been an easy change for Perez who joined McLaren from Sauber. His former team did not have a simulator for him to work on, whereas McLaren have one of the most sophisticated simulators of any F1 team and rely on it heavily for development.
The team has also had to contend with a problematic car in the MP4-28 which has fallen well short of expectations.
Perez failed to make the top ten shoot-out in qualifying for his first race with the team and finished out of the points.
He took a ninth-place finish in Malaysia after trying to run a three-stop strategy without success, forcing a late pit stop. Perez scored an impressive second for Sauber the year before.
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 4
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 2