Apr 1, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
Sergio Perez has made a strong start with McLaren according to team principal Martin Whitmarsh.
“He has done a solid job,” Whitmarsh told Autosport. “It is easy to get rattled coming to a team like McLaren when you don’t have a quick enough car.”
“He is an intelligent guy. He is incredibly young but again in my mind he has not put a foot wrong.”
It has not been an easy change for Perez who joined McLaren from Sauber. His former team did not have a simulator for him to work on, whereas McLaren have one of the most sophisticated simulators of any F1 team and rely on it heavily for development.
The team has also had to contend with a problematic car in the MP4-28 which has fallen well short of expectations.
Perez failed to make the top ten shoot-out in qualifying for his first race with the team and finished out of the points.
He took a ninth-place finish in Malaysia after trying to run a three-stop strategy without success, forcing a late pit stop. Perez scored an impressive second for Sauber the year before.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10