Apr 2, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
If not for the winding 2.3-mile road course inside of it, Barber Motorsports Park would be mistaken for a fabulous outdoor art gallery.
Barber’s grounds are manicured to perfection, surrounded by lush trees and dotted with whimsical sculptures of everything from giant spiders in Turn 5 (known naturally as Charlotte’s Web) to packs of lions and tigers. There’s a reason why it’s been tagged as “the Augusta National of racetracks” in reference to the equally lovely home of The Masters.
But beneath Barber’s beauty lies an absolute beast of a track, perhaps the toughest on the IZOD IndyCar Series calendar. The fast-flowing course features multiple elevation changes and blind corners that constantly challenge drivers. Their talent and physical conditioning come to the forefront here, and any sort of mistake usually incurs a severe punishment.
You can check out the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park this Sunday at 3 p.m. ET on the NBC Sports Network. But in the meantime, you can get out for a quick lap around this highly technical — and highly difficult — circuit by checking out the video above.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1