Apr 2, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
If not for the winding 2.3-mile road course inside of it, Barber Motorsports Park would be mistaken for a fabulous outdoor art gallery.
Barber’s grounds are manicured to perfection, surrounded by lush trees and dotted with whimsical sculptures of everything from giant spiders in Turn 5 (known naturally as Charlotte’s Web) to packs of lions and tigers. There’s a reason why it’s been tagged as “the Augusta National of racetracks” in reference to the equally lovely home of The Masters.
But beneath Barber’s beauty lies an absolute beast of a track, perhaps the toughest on the IZOD IndyCar Series calendar. The fast-flowing course features multiple elevation changes and blind corners that constantly challenge drivers. Their talent and physical conditioning come to the forefront here, and any sort of mistake usually incurs a severe punishment.
You can check out the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park this Sunday at 3 p.m. ET on the NBC Sports Network. But in the meantime, you can get out for a quick lap around this highly technical — and highly difficult — circuit by checking out the video above.
- WATCH LIVE: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach at 4 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Long Beach (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 3
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0