Apr 2, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
If not for the winding 2.3-mile road course inside of it, Barber Motorsports Park would be mistaken for a fabulous outdoor art gallery.
Barber’s grounds are manicured to perfection, surrounded by lush trees and dotted with whimsical sculptures of everything from giant spiders in Turn 5 (known naturally as Charlotte’s Web) to packs of lions and tigers. There’s a reason why it’s been tagged as “the Augusta National of racetracks” in reference to the equally lovely home of The Masters.
But beneath Barber’s beauty lies an absolute beast of a track, perhaps the toughest on the IZOD IndyCar Series calendar. The fast-flowing course features multiple elevation changes and blind corners that constantly challenge drivers. Their talent and physical conditioning come to the forefront here, and any sort of mistake usually incurs a severe punishment.
You can check out the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park this Sunday at 3 p.m. ET on the NBC Sports Network. But in the meantime, you can get out for a quick lap around this highly technical — and highly difficult — circuit by checking out the video above.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3