Apr 2, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
If not for the winding 2.3-mile road course inside of it, Barber Motorsports Park would be mistaken for a fabulous outdoor art gallery.
Barber’s grounds are manicured to perfection, surrounded by lush trees and dotted with whimsical sculptures of everything from giant spiders in Turn 5 (known naturally as Charlotte’s Web) to packs of lions and tigers. There’s a reason why it’s been tagged as “the Augusta National of racetracks” in reference to the equally lovely home of The Masters.
But beneath Barber’s beauty lies an absolute beast of a track, perhaps the toughest on the IZOD IndyCar Series calendar. The fast-flowing course features multiple elevation changes and blind corners that constantly challenge drivers. Their talent and physical conditioning come to the forefront here, and any sort of mistake usually incurs a severe punishment.
You can check out the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park this Sunday at 3 p.m. ET on the NBC Sports Network. But in the meantime, you can get out for a quick lap around this highly technical — and highly difficult — circuit by checking out the video above.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10