Apr 2, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Conor Daly will attempt to qualify for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 in A.J. Foyt Racing’s second car, the No. 41 ABC Supply Co. Dallara-Honda.
Daly, a two-year veteran of the FIA GP3 Series who most recently raced in the GP2 season opener and also has experience in Firestone Indy Lights and the MRF Challenge series in India, tested for Foyt’s team in December at Sebring Interntional Raceway.
“I almost can’t describe what it means to have the opportunity to race in the Indianapolis 500,” said the 21-year-old Daly. “I have been to the 500 every year of my existence except for last year when I raced in Monaco. It is truly my home race since I was born and raised in the Indianapolis area. I am so thankful that A.J. and Larry [Foyt] have given me my first shot at the greatest race in the world. I know this will sound cheesy but I’ve never been happier in my life; this race means so much to me.”
Daly joins an Indianapolis rookie class that also includes Tristan Vautier of Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, Team Penske’s AJ Allmendinger and Andretti Autosport’s Carlos Munoz. Indy’s Rookie Orientation Program occurs April 11.
Daly’s teammate is Takuma Sato, as Foyt’s team will again race two cars at Indianapolis. Wade Cunningham occupied the second seat last year. Daly did not race any ovals when he made a handful of Indy Lights starts in 2011.
As he wrote in a RACER magazine blog, Daly’s plans for the rest of 2013 have not been finalized, but may include a handful more starts in IndyCar and/or GP2, and perhaps another season of GP3.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2