Apr 2, 2013, 9:05 AM EST
Daniel Ricciardo says Toro Rosso are still trying to understand their 2013 car and are yet to get the best out of it.
“The basic thing is downforce, every car always wants more downforce,” said Ricciardo. “When you have understeer or oversteer it’s usually due to a lack of downforce.”
“I think we have more tools on the car and we can use them better but we’re still trying to understand it. There is more potential but not enough is showing at the moment.”
The STR8 marks a departure from the team’s previous design direction following the departure of technical director Giorgio Ascanelli. The team’s new design chief James Key joined them late last year and the new car was designed by ex-McLaren man Luca Furbatto.
Ricciardo said a major development for the STR8 will arrive in time for the fifth race of the year: “In Barcelona that’s planned. I think all the teams bring updates but hopefully that will give us what we are looking for.”
“We have quite a lot of things going on with the car that should make it quite a bit better than it was last year,” he added.
“I don’t feel we have got the most out of that stuff yet and when we do find it, it should make the car better. The thing is a lot of guys are improving and no one will stay where they are. We’ve got to find a bigger step than everyone else and at the moment we are going with them and not taking the step we need at the moment.”
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1