Apr 3, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
Formula One rookie Valtteri Bottas admits he is disappointed by Williams’ lapse in form over the off-season.
Bottas made his F1 debut in Australia for the team that won the Spanish Grand Prix last year and had the sixth-fastest car of 2012.
But the new FW35 has given the team a lot of trouble and is yet to score a point.
“Of course I was hoping to fight for better positions,” he told Autosport.
“The goal is to get higher and be consistently in the points. It’s what the team was hoping for and what I’m hoping for so of course it’s a bit disappointing.”
Williams’ struggle comes as a surprise after a competitive 2012 and a promising off-season. Bottas and team mate Pastor Maldonado sang the praises of the FW32 after driving it for the first time.
But the new exhaust package the team ran at the final test has failed to work as expected and technical director Mike Coughlan admitted they are considering reverting to last year’s design. Bottas added “some things were better in the car” the team ran last year.
The team’s 2013 campaign has also been struck by personal loss. Team founder Frank Williams’ wife Virginia passed away from cancer shortly before the start of the season.
Daughter Claire Williams was set to take over as deputy team principal but the personnel change was postponed following the team’s bereavement. The next round in China will be her first race in the new role which Coughlan filled in the interim.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 0
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)