Apr 3, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
One of the surprises at the IndyCar season opener at St. Petersburg was Panther DRR’s Oriol Servia leading 16 laps on an off-sequence pit strategy.
It didn’t have a chance at working unless rain or extended yellow flag periods entered the equation, but was nonetheless a gamble that put the spotlight on the freshly liveried Mecum Auctions black and yellow No. 22 Dallara-Chevy.
As last year, except with a different powerplant, Servia will race with Charter Communications colors this weekend at Barber Motorsports Park (Sunday, 3 p.m. EST, NBC Sports Network). Servia last ran this livery at Milwaukee last year, when he finished fourth (right).
“We had a very good test at Barber a couple of weeks ago. Also, we are coming from the first race of the season where we led and showed great pace so we couldn’t be more excited to start the weekend,” said Servia. “I will be driving the green and blue car for Charter, another one of our great sponsors and supporters and I truly feel we can give them a great weekend.”
Servia isn’t alone in having a different livery this weekend. Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Dario Franchitti (usually Target) and Charlie Kimball (Novo Nordisk) will have altered paint schemes.
Franchitti’s red will switch for Banana Boat – his car has been primarily blue at Barber the last two years for Clorox signage – and Kimball’s usual orange and blue has been inverted as part of Team Ganassi’s joint “Race with Insulin” diabetes initiative across both IndyCar and NASCAR this weekend.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)