Apr 4, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Oddsmakers in Las Vegas have picked an obvious favorite for this week’s IZOD IndyCar Series race at Barber Motorsports Park (Sunday, 3 p.m. EST, NBC Sports Network). But they’ve made an odd choice for the field’s long shot.
Will Power, who seeks his third straight Barber win, is going off at 7/4 odds. That’s no surprise.
But at the other end of the spectrum, Simona de Silvestro (right) is the last rated driver in the field with 60/1 odds of winning. I’m not sure the oddsmakers took notice of her performance in St. Petersburg when she qualified third and finished sixth in her first race with KV Racing Technology and a Chevrolet engine.
Four drivers (Sebastien Bourdais, Alex Tagliani, EJ Viso and Charlie Kimball) are at 50/1.
The Lotus engine that saddled de Silvestro, Bourdais and Tagliani is, like last year’s race, consigned to history. And lest we forget Bourdais put in Lotus’ best race of the year at Barber a year ago, qualifying 17th and finishing an incredible ninth with a car down an estimated 50 horsepower to Chevrolet and Honda.
The field is 12/1 (JR Hildebrand, Sebastian Saavedra, James Jakes, Ana Beatriz, Ed Carpenter, Tristan Vautier and Josef Newgarden) as those seven drivers were not given individual odds. AJ Allmendinger, making his open-wheel return, also goes off at 12-1.
Another good bet – as hinted Wednesday here on MotorSports Talk – is Marco Andretti, who’s had some success at Barber in the past and rolls off at 40/1.
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)