Apr 4, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Renault Sport F1′s Rob White has revealed that there is likely to be an additional pre-season test in 2014, giving teams additional time to work with the new V6 engines which will be introduced next season.
“There is what looks like quite a mature proposal to have an additional test session which we are completely in favour of,” White told Autosport.
“I don’t know what the format would be or where it would be, but we’re of the assumption that it will be an additional session for all teams and it’s not optional as everyone will want and need it.”
Pre-season testing in 2013 saw three test sessions held: one in Jerez, and two at the Circuit de Catalunya near Barcelona. Although this does give teams a chance to work on their new cars, many believe that increased testing would be beneficial.
However, with in-season testing banned, an extra test would be welcomed by the teams in order to get used to the new engines. White underlined the importance of the extra session to Renault, with the French marque set to work with Red Bull, Lotus, Williams and Caterham next season.
“Even if it was safe to assume that there would be no significant engine or power unit work to do, which is probably not the case, then all of the teams would be busy in characterizing and confirming the design assumptions or gathering data to amend.”
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)