Apr 4, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Giedo van der Garde is confident that Caterham can improve following a difficult start to the 2013 Formula One season.
The British team has lagged behind closest rivals Marussia in the opening two rounds of the season despite finishing ahead of them in 2012. This has caused many to question Caterham’s chances in 2013, but van der Garde is hopeful that the new upgrades for his car will see an improvement in fortunes.
“We know where we are at the moment, and we know in Barcelona an upgrade is coming,” he told Autosport.
“[The next] two races won’t be easy but we can make a good step. Marussia has a little advantage but hopefully we can fig
Caterham opted to use a large portion of last year’s car when designing the CT03 due to the lack of radical changes in the regulations, but this move appears to have backfired. van der Garde did concede that the car was hard to work with, yet he is happy with how his F1 career has started.
“It’s how it is at the moment. It’s not an easy car but I’m very happy.
“The team let me learn step by step, all the procedures, the way you drive, the tires, so for me it has been good.”
At 27, van der Garde is by far the oldest rookie on the 2013 grid, and although he brings a great deal of experience to Caterham, his failure to match his teammate and the Marussia pairing of Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton has certainly raised a few eyebrows. However, if Caterham can deliver the upgrades for the start of the European season, van der Garde could quickly begin to show his true pace.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 9
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 2
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6