Apr 5, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Sauber F1 Team believe that the Shanghai International Circuit will be the perfect test for their car next weekend as they look to improve the C32 ahead of the European season.
“The Shanghai circuit has a good mix of low, medium and high-speed corners,” explained head of track engineering Tom McCullough. “The track has several technical sections where corners lead straight into further corners requiring a good car balance and precise driving. The smooth track surface and typically low track temperatures have a significant impact on how the tires perform, especially at the start of the race weekend whilst the track is cleaning up.”
However, both Nico Hulkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez failed to express a similar affinity for the circuit in the team statement.
“The circuit in Shanghai is not particularly one of my favorite tracks,” said Hulkenberg, but he was still targeting a strong result in China. “I have a better feeling now I have driven my first race in the C32, especially because we were able to collect a lot of information. In Malaysia we scored points and that is also my goal for China.”
This race will mark Gutierrez’s first race at the Shanghai International Circuit, but he is relishing the chance to get to grips with the track.
“I don’t actually know the track yet, so it will be an interesting challenge again to learn the circuit and then to develop confidence throughout the practice sessions. Learning a new track all depends on the approach you take.”
Sauber will be keen on improving on their current haul of four points from the opening two races, especially with Force India making such a strong start to the season which already puts the Swiss team on the back foot in the battle for P6 in the constructors’ championship this season.
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0