Apr 5, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Romain Grosjean has admitted in an interview he is disappointed with his start to the 2013 season despite scoring points in both races.
The Lotus driver finished P10 in Australia and a strong P6 in Malaysia, and although he has nine points to his name, the 22 point gap to teammate Kimi Raikkonen is cause for concern.
“It’s been a little frustrating,” said Grosjean. “I don’t think I’ve shown my full potential yet.
“The first two races were quite difficult for me and I would really like a weekend where I can show what myself and the team can do this season.”
Grosjean suffered a car failure in Australia whilst Raikkonen went on to win the race, but he made good use of the upgrades in Malaysia to finish a strong sixth ahead of his teammate, showing the Frenchman’s ability.
“We’ve got great potential, I just need to unlock it. Hopefully we’ll find the key in China.”
The 2011 GP2 champion also conceded that he was struggling with the Lotus E21, but that he is making good progress to understand the car.
“Sometimes the car gives me what I want and sometimes it doesn’t, even if the conditions and set-up are very similar. I’ve been working closely with my engineers and we made good progress over the last race weekend.
“The car and the latest tires seem to be very sensitive to having the balance exactly right so that’s what we’re focusing on.”
Team principal Eric Boullier has touted Grosjean as being a future world champion, and some of his performances in 2012 showed signs of this capability. However, if he fails to get to grips with the E21, it could be a long and barren season for the French driver.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)