Apr 5, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean has admitted in an interview he is disappointed with his start to the 2013 season despite scoring points in both races.
The Lotus driver finished P10 in Australia and a strong P6 in Malaysia, and although he has nine points to his name, the 22 point gap to teammate Kimi Raikkonen is cause for concern.
“It’s been a little frustrating,” said Grosjean. “I don’t think I’ve shown my full potential yet.
“The first two races were quite difficult for me and I would really like a weekend where I can show what myself and the team can do this season.”
Grosjean suffered a car failure in Australia whilst Raikkonen went on to win the race, but he made good use of the upgrades in Malaysia to finish a strong sixth ahead of his teammate, showing the Frenchman’s ability.
“We’ve got great potential, I just need to unlock it. Hopefully we’ll find the key in China.”
The 2011 GP2 champion also conceded that he was struggling with the Lotus E21, but that he is making good progress to understand the car.
“Sometimes the car gives me what I want and sometimes it doesn’t, even if the conditions and set-up are very similar. I’ve been working closely with my engineers and we made good progress over the last race weekend.
“The car and the latest tires seem to be very sensitive to having the balance exactly right so that’s what we’re focusing on.”
Team principal Eric Boullier has touted Grosjean as being a future world champion, and some of his performances in 2012 showed signs of this capability. However, if he fails to get to grips with the E21, it could be a long and barren season for the French driver.
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 0
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP qualifying at 5a ET on NBCSN and Live Extra 0
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 2
- The Equalization Conundrum: Should F1 put sport to one side in favor of ‘the show’? 5
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0