Apr 5, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
In 48 prior starts at the 0.526-mile paper clip oval, Martin has two wins (April 1992, April 2000) and 12 top five finishes. He was runner-up at the fall 2010 race for Hendrick Motorsports.
Martin’s never been a particularly strong qualifier at Martinsville – he has started better than 12th there only once since 2000 – but staying out of trouble and ensuring he can get to the finish will be the key on Sunday before, incidentally, Vickers takes over while Hamlin is sidelined.
“Obviously, our primary concern is getting Denny healed up and back in the FedEx car when he’s ready,” said Darian Grubb, crew chief of the No. 11 Toyota. “We have to thank Mark (Martin) and Brian (Vickers) for filling in these next few weeks, and we believe that we can be just as competitive, run up front and win races. Our team is a strong, tight-knit group, and this will bring us even closer together. The goal is to move the No. 11 car up in the owner’s standings in the next few races, and when Denny returns, do everything in our power to get both him and our team in the Chase.”
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3