Apr 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
AJ Allmendinger’s been given the green light for another IndyCar start with Team Penske in two weeks at Long Beach.
Penske Racing president Tim Cindric confirmed the news on Twitter early Saturday morning.
“Pushing the “go” button for @AJDinger for Long Beach! Trying to give him as much seat time as we can for @IMS,” he wrote.
Allmendinger finished the three pre-qualifying practice sessions in the top 10, and by Saturday morning’s practice was actually quickest of the three Penske entries, seventh to Will Power in 10th and Helio Castroneves in 12th.
Allmendinger explained the differences between a NASCAR and IndyCar weekend in setup and preparation terms on Friday.
“It’s so funny because on the Cup side of it you have set days,” he said. “Friday you work on qualifying, Saturday you work on race set-up and you go race on Sunday. And here obviously the whole time you’re working on speed, but there’s not a lot of time to work on race set-up. So I think it’s just the process of going through this weekend and figuring out how the weekend goes, how we use out tires and what we’re working on.”
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5
- Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed 3
- McLaren confirms Alonso leaves hospital, and is out for final test 0
- Manor targets Melbourne appearance; announces Will Stevens as first driver 2
- Iconic F1 designer Gerard Ducarouge dies at 73 1
- F1: Barcelona 2015 first test cumulative times, lap counts, analysis 0