Apr 6, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
AJ Allmendinger achieved his target of advancing into the top 12 and out of his group in the first round of qualifying for IndyCar’s race at Barber Motorsports Park. Although he clocked in 11th in that set of 12, he’ll start 10th with Takuma Sato’s penalty demoting him down the order.
“I wasn’t as strong in the second run as I was in the first,” he said. “I just didn’t feel as good on the second set of tires. We made our first goal of getting out of the first round of qualifying. Making it into the top six was a pretty lofty goal, especially with it being my first time (in this format) and first time on the red (tires). It’s still good to be inside the top 12. I know the IZOD Team Penske car will be good in the race, it’s just a matter of me going with the flow and how I react to everything.”
Allmendinger will have one more IndyCar race on his schedule as earlier Saturday, Penske Racing President Tim Cindric confirmed he’ll race at Long Beach in two weeks.
“It’s the same layout at least,” said Allmendinger, who raced at Long Beach three times in Champ Car. “It’s not an oval (before Indianapolis), but it’s more time in the car with pit stops. It’s exciting; I’ve always missed that race since I left. Being a California native it was always a fun race to go to. Just to have another race under my belt at a place I’ve fairly familiar with I’m looking forward to it.”
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3