Apr 6, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
AJ Allmendinger achieved his target of advancing into the top 12 and out of his group in the first round of qualifying for IndyCar’s race at Barber Motorsports Park. Although he clocked in 11th in that set of 12, he’ll start 10th with Takuma Sato’s penalty demoting him down the order.
“I wasn’t as strong in the second run as I was in the first,” he said. “I just didn’t feel as good on the second set of tires. We made our first goal of getting out of the first round of qualifying. Making it into the top six was a pretty lofty goal, especially with it being my first time (in this format) and first time on the red (tires). It’s still good to be inside the top 12. I know the IZOD Team Penske car will be good in the race, it’s just a matter of me going with the flow and how I react to everything.”
Allmendinger will have one more IndyCar race on his schedule as earlier Saturday, Penske Racing President Tim Cindric confirmed he’ll race at Long Beach in two weeks.
“It’s the same layout at least,” said Allmendinger, who raced at Long Beach three times in Champ Car. “It’s not an oval (before Indianapolis), but it’s more time in the car with pit stops. It’s exciting; I’ve always missed that race since I left. Being a California native it was always a fun race to go to. Just to have another race under my belt at a place I’ve fairly familiar with I’m looking forward to it.”
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0