Barber blocking controversy #1: Sato vs. Wilson (VIDEO)

Apr 6, 2013, 7:00 PM EST

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Takuma Sato was given a penalty for impeding Justin Wilson in the end of Q2, and was barred from continuing into the Firestone Fast Six despite a quick enough time to advance.

“We got a qualifying penalty for impeding so we’re not able to move on to next session,” Sato’s team director Larry Foyt told IMS Radio. “This whole deal, everyone’s trying to make room, and there becomes an accordion effect. What happens three cars ahead then trickles back. We lost our best laps as well getting held up.”

Sato explained his side of the story from the driver’s seat.

“In the second segment I had to back off because there was a slower car in front of me at the exit of Turn 5,” he said. “So I abandoned my qualifying lap and I tried to stretch the space. I checked my mirror on the back straight and there was no one there and then going through Turns 7 and 8 which is where the elevation changes which is probably the worst place for Justin Wilson to catch me because I couldn’t see anything behind me. When I was able to see that he was coming on I tried to keep my line tight and let him have the racing line. Obviously it was close but I was disappointed to be penalized.”

Wilson, usually as gentlemanly as they come, was less diplomatic after the incident.

“I’m really upset by what happened,” he said. “The No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda was really fast today. We definitely had a top three car today, possible even a pole-winning one. My red tires were just coming in and I was working on a very quick lap when Sato slowed down in front of me and didn’t get out of the way. That caused me to slow down and have to go around him. Once I came in into the pits I ran right to the IndyCar trailer to see if they saw the incident. They took Sato’s two fastest laps away, which was some sort of justice. I just feel bad for the crew because they have given me a pole winning car this weekend.”

Scott Dixon’s take on the matter was humorous, given he fell victim to a mistakenly issued penalty from race control at Milwaukee last year.

“I didn’t know race control had it in them. Good to see,” he opined.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Latest Posts
  1. Red Bull GRC: Athletes get invited to X Games

Mar 6, 2015, 6:11 PM EST

GRCLogo

First round of athletes competing in Red Bull GRC exhibition at this year’s X Games at COTA announced.

2. Sauber hits back in legal row with Giedo van der Garde

Mar 6, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

AUTO-SIN-F1 Getty Images

Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn vows to keep the best interests of Sauber at heart as it enters a legal row with its former reserve driver.

3. Alonso digs at “science fiction” as crash saga rumbles on

Mar 6, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

AUTO-F1-ESP-TEST-MCLAREN Getty Images

Alonso makes light of media reports suggesting that he thought it was 1995 following his crash in pre-season testing.

4. GP2: Robert Visoiu moves up from GP3 with Rapax

Mar 6, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

© GP3 Series © GP3 Series

Romanian driver to race alongside Sergey Sirotkin in 2015.

5. Sebastian Vettel first discussed Ferrari move back in 2008

Mar 6, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

F1 Testing In Jerez - Day One Getty Images

German driver reveals that he held secret talks with Ferrari following the 2012 season, but has only made the move to Maranello for 2015.

6. GP3: Six more drivers announced on a busy Friday

Mar 6, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

_G7C0817

ART, Koiranen and Jenzer all announce drivers ahead of pre-season testing.

7. Grosjean keen to remind F1 paddock of his ability in 2015

Mar 6, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ESP-TEST Getty Images

Frenchman hopes to make up for a difficult 2014 campaign that yielded just eight points in total.

8. F1 2015 team preview: Scuderia Ferrari

Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

AUTO-F1-ESP-TEST-FERRARRI Getty Images

A revolution has taken place at Maranello over the winter following Ferrari’s worst F1 performance in over 20 years.

9. FIA considering tender for new Formula 1 teams

Mar 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EST

Formula E Championship In Buenos Aires - Jean Todt Press Conference Getty Images

Gene Haas may not be alone in bringing a new team into F1 in the near future.

10. Manor in “advanced discussion” with drivers over second seat

Mar 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Previews Getty Images

After its remarkable comeback, the team is yet to confirm who its second driver will be in Australia.

11. Big Australian V8 Supercars shocker: Shane van Gisbergen heads to Triple Eight for 2016

Mar 5, 2015, 6:44 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

“The Giz” heads to V8SC’s biggest team in a three-year deal as the team’s third car.

12. IndyCar: Happy 20th birthday to Ganassi rising star Sage Karam

Mar 5, 2015, 5:23 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

“SK$” turns 20. Sage Karam will make his second IndyCar start at season-opening race in St. Petersburg.

13. Jean-Eric Vergne chasing “amazing” home win for Andretti at Miami ePrix

Mar 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

Formula E Championship - Buenos Aires Getty Images

JEV wants to clinch Andretti a home win when Formula E hits U.S. shores in Miami later this month.

14. More movements in GP2, GP3, Formula Renault 3.5 for 2015