Apr 6, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Takuma Sato was given a penalty for impeding Justin Wilson in the end of Q2, and was barred from continuing into the Firestone Fast Six despite a quick enough time to advance.
“We got a qualifying penalty for impeding so we’re not able to move on to next session,” Sato’s team director Larry Foyt told IMS Radio. “This whole deal, everyone’s trying to make room, and there becomes an accordion effect. What happens three cars ahead then trickles back. We lost our best laps as well getting held up.”
Sato explained his side of the story from the driver’s seat.
“In the second segment I had to back off because there was a slower car in front of me at the exit of Turn 5,” he said. “So I abandoned my qualifying lap and I tried to stretch the space. I checked my mirror on the back straight and there was no one there and then going through Turns 7 and 8 which is where the elevation changes which is probably the worst place for Justin Wilson to catch me because I couldn’t see anything behind me. When I was able to see that he was coming on I tried to keep my line tight and let him have the racing line. Obviously it was close but I was disappointed to be penalized.”
Wilson, usually as gentlemanly as they come, was less diplomatic after the incident.
“I’m really upset by what happened,” he said. “The No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda was really fast today. We definitely had a top three car today, possible even a pole-winning one. My red tires were just coming in and I was working on a very quick lap when Sato slowed down in front of me and didn’t get out of the way. That caused me to slow down and have to go around him. Once I came in into the pits I ran right to the IndyCar trailer to see if they saw the incident. They took Sato’s two fastest laps away, which was some sort of justice. I just feel bad for the crew because they have given me a pole winning car this weekend.”
Scott Dixon’s take on the matter was humorous, given he fell victim to a mistakenly issued penalty from race control at Milwaukee last year.
“I didn’t know race control had it in them. Good to see,” he opined.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mar 6, 2015, 6:11 PM EST
First round of athletes competing in Red Bull GRC exhibition at this year’s X Games at COTA announced.
Mar 6, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn vows to keep the best interests of Sauber at heart as it enters a legal row with its former reserve driver.
Mar 6, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Alonso makes light of media reports suggesting that he thought it was 1995 following his crash in pre-season testing.
Mar 6, 2015, 3:16 PM EST
Adam Carolla on the life and racing career of Paul Newman.
Mar 6, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Romanian driver to race alongside Sergey Sirotkin in 2015.
Mar 6, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
German driver reveals that he held secret talks with Ferrari following the 2012 season, but has only made the move to Maranello for 2015.
Mar 6, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
ART, Koiranen and Jenzer all announce drivers ahead of pre-season testing.
Mar 6, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
Frenchman hopes to make up for a difficult 2014 campaign that yielded just eight points in total.
Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
A revolution has taken place at Maranello over the winter following Ferrari’s worst F1 performance in over 20 years.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Gene Haas may not be alone in bringing a new team into F1 in the near future.
Mar 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
After its remarkable comeback, the team is yet to confirm who its second driver will be in Australia.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:44 PM EST
“The Giz” heads to V8SC’s biggest team in a three-year deal as the team’s third car.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:13 PM EST
“RHR 2.0″ enters world on March 5, 2015.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:23 PM EST
“SK$” turns 20. Sage Karam will make his second IndyCar start at season-opening race in St. Petersburg.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
JEV wants to clinch Andretti a home win when Formula E hits U.S. shores in Miami later this month.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All of the latest news from some of F1’s most prominent junior championships.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Filipino-Swiss driver moves from Formula Renault 3.5 for 2015.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
British driver sends out an ominous statement of intent ahead of the first race of the year in Australia on March 15.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Can Massa and Bottas pick up where they left off at the end of 2014?
Mar 5, 2015, 12:07 PM EST
Team now all set to race in Australia on March 15 after passing the FIA crash tests.
- Alonso digs at “science fiction” as crash saga rumbles on 1
- Sebastian Vettel first discussed Ferrari move back in 2008 1
- FIA considering tender for new Formula 1 teams 6
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2