Apr 6, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
Ross Brawn has defended his use of team orders at the Malaysian Grand Prix, preventing Nico Rosberg from passing Lewis Hamilton in the final stages of the race.
Hamilton was forced to save fuel, but Brawn told the faster Rosberg to hold position behind the British driver to not put the team result at risk. Both drivers were disappointed with the result, and Hamilton admitted that he did not deserve the podium finish. However, Brawn still believes that he made the right decision.
“I don’t like having to take those decisions, but from a technical perspective we would have looked very foolish if we had run both cars out of fuel,” he told Sky Sports.
“I think what wasn’t fully appreciated at the time is that we had a situation develop on both cars with fuel. We weren’t comfortable with either car and I could see a scenario with both drivers competing against each other, in a strong way, it is difficult to marry managing the fuel with a full blown fight with your team-mate.”
Brawn did come under fire from Mercedes managers Niki Lauda and Toto Wolff, but the team principal is happy to have made the call.
“I had all the information, I had all the facts. I had what I feel was all the information to make that decision and they didn’t and I think they both recognized after the event that it was the correct decision.”
There is a great deal of movement behind the scenes at Mercedes, with Paddy Lowe set to join the team for next season. Brawn has previously said that he would not remain at the team if Lowe joined, and this latest debacle could only increase the pressure on the former team owner.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
A full download of all posts from NASCAR Media Tour on NBCSports.com.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
Australian driver does not feel under any added pressure in 2015 despite appearing to be the new team leader.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
First video from Gridiron Challenge now up, in advance of the full event set to air tonight at 10 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:51 AM EST
The No. 10 WTR Corvette DP reclassified to last in P after drive-time violation at Rolex 24 at Daytona.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:45 AM EST
After a miserable 2014, Raikkonen hopes that the new season and a new car will bring better fortunes for Ferrari.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
Italian Luca Filippi will get the nod to drive the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet alongside Ed Carpenter this season.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:40 AM EST
Four-time world champion is not expecting immediate success at Maranello.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Big day of coverage for NASCAR on NBC today, with 6.5 hours of coverage slated.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
Karam, Larson showcase talent in Rolex 24 drives for CGR.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Brazilian driver steps up to F1 with Sauber in 2015 after three years in GP2.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Former Caterham driver announces that he is moving to the Japanese single seater championship for 2015.
Jan 30, 2015, 6:14 AM EST
A new era begins at Maranello with the launch of the 2015 car.
Jan 30, 2015, 5:02 AM EST
After a disastrous 2014, Sauber aims to hit back this year with a new image and two new drivers.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
When he went looking for a new crew chief to replace the soon-to-be departing Steve Letarte, Dale Earnhardt Jr. ultimately didn’t have to look very far.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Kasey Kahne looks for success with new crew chief… and another Super Bowl for his Seahawks.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
Jerry Gappens, executive vice president and general manager of New Hampshire Motor Speedway was arrested last week and charged with indecent exposure and lewdness.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:09 PM EST
Conor Daly finally set for an IndyCar test this offseason, with SPM.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:33 PM EST
After coming so close last season, Ryan Newman is ready to fight for the Sprint Cup championship in 2015 — and he’s bringing his brass knuckles to give him a hand.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:01 PM EST
Car owner Rick Hendrick said he consulted with Jeff Gordon about if to retire the No. 24 after this season.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:42 PM EST
IndyCar’s Brasilia, Brazil race set for March 8 has been canceled.
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 2
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 0
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 8