Apr 6, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Simona de Silvestro paced the final practice session before qualifying for the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama on Saturday morning.
The KV Racing Technology driver led the 14 drivers that dipped into the 1:07 range in the early session. Simon Pagenaud, Scott Dixon, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Dario Franchitti completed the top five.
“I’m sure it (leading practice) does a lot (for my confidence),” she said. “I think the car is pretty good this morning, we have to see how the track is going to change for a little bit later, but the car has been pretty quick and the whole KV crew has been working really hard during the test here and when we got back.”
AJ Allmendinger in seventh led the three Team Penske cars, fresh off the news he’ll also be racing at Long Beach in two weeks (more to come on that later this afternoon). Will Power was only 10th with Helio Castroneves, fastest on Friday, in 12th. The top 24 cars were within 0.9088 of a second of de Silvestro.
Qualifying begins at 11:25 a.m. EST with TV coverage on at 5 p.m. EST on the NBC Sports Network.
Qualifying groups for the three rounds of knockout qualifying are below, via INDYCAR:
Group 1 Group 2 #98 Alex Tagliani #3 Helio Castroneves #77 Simon Pagenaud #55 Tristan Vautier (R) #9 Scott Dixon #12 Will Power #2 AJ Allmendinger #5 E.J. Viso #14 Takuma Sato #16 James Jakes #1 Ryan Hunter-Reay #19 Justin Wilson #10 Dario Franchitti #22 Oriol Servia #11 Tony Kanaan #27 James Hinchcliffe #83 Charlie Kimball #78 Simona de Silvestro #7 Sebastien Bourdais #25 Marco Andretti #15 Graham Rahal #67 Josef Newgarden #6 Sebastian Saavedra #4 JR Hildebrand #18 Ana Beatriz #20 Ed Carpenter
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 0
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 7
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)