Apr 6, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
After two seasons with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, Victor Carbone will drive the No. 22 Team Moore Racing machine in Firestone Indy Lights for the rest of the season.
The Brazilian racer and Miami resident finished sixth last year in the FIL championship, earning two podium finishes at Iowa and Toronto and seven top-5 finishes along the way. He was fifth-quickest across the Lights’ practice sessions on Friday at Barber Motorsports Park.
“I am very happy to be a part of Team Moore and I am looking forward to what this year will bring me,” Carbone said in a statement. “I am excited to work with all the team and achieve the best results we can together.”
Carbone has one Lights win to his credit, taking the checkered flag at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 2011 for SPM.
Team owner Mark Moore, who also runs a program for Mexican driver Juan Pablo Garcia, is excited to see Carbone join his team and thinks he’ll be able to create some chemistry with his new teammate.
“[Carbone] is a fine young man,” he said. “I have had my eye on him the past few seasons and I believe he has huge potential and lots of talent. I can’t wait to see how he does in one our cars.
“I believe he and Juan Pablo will be excellent teammates and work very well together. It’s great for our series to get another contender back out on the track.”
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)