Apr 7, 2013, 3:13 PM EST
After a mechanical problem forced him to settle for seventh in the Firestone Indy Lights season-opener at St. Petersburg, Florida, Carlos Munoz responded today with an emphatic, wire-to-wire victory from pole position in the Legacy Indy Lights 100 at Barber Motorsports Park.
Munoz, who now has three career wins in Indy Lights, quickly pulled away from his pursuers and eventually took the No. 26 Andretti Autosport machine to a five-second win over St. Pete winner Jack Hawksworth of Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Hawksworth’s teammate, Gabby Chaves, completed the podium.
Now the Colombian’s focus will shift to passing Thursday’s Rookie Orientation Program for the upcoming Indianapolis 500. Munoz is driving a fifth Andretti car for the “500″ — his first race in the IZOD IndyCar Series — and is one of four rookies (A.J. Allmendinger, Tristan Vautier and Conor Daly) that are slated to take part in ROP exercises this week at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
“Everyone was asking me, ‘Are you excited about [ROP]?,’ and I said, ‘No, not really — right now, I’m at Barber and I’m thinking about Barber, I’m not thinking about [the] IndyCar’,” Munoz told NBC Sports Network in Victory Lane. “Now, I want to put my head toward the IndyCar for this Thursday, and to do a good job there.”
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)