Apr 7, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
After a mechanical problem forced him to settle for seventh in the Firestone Indy Lights season-opener at St. Petersburg, Florida, Carlos Munoz responded today with an emphatic, wire-to-wire victory from pole position in the Legacy Indy Lights 100 at Barber Motorsports Park.
Munoz, who now has three career wins in Indy Lights, quickly pulled away from his pursuers and eventually took the No. 26 Andretti Autosport machine to a five-second win over St. Pete winner Jack Hawksworth of Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Hawksworth’s teammate, Gabby Chaves, completed the podium.
Now the Colombian’s focus will shift to passing Thursday’s Rookie Orientation Program for the upcoming Indianapolis 500. Munoz is driving a fifth Andretti car for the “500″ — his first race in the IZOD IndyCar Series — and is one of four rookies (A.J. Allmendinger, Tristan Vautier and Conor Daly) that are slated to take part in ROP exercises this week at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
“Everyone was asking me, ‘Are you excited about [ROP]?,’ and I said, ‘No, not really — right now, I’m at Barber and I’m thinking about Barber, I’m not thinking about [the] IndyCar’,” Munoz told NBC Sports Network in Victory Lane. “Now, I want to put my head toward the IndyCar for this Thursday, and to do a good job there.”
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)