Ecclestone wary of new V6 engines

Apr 7, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-F1-UAE-EMIRATES Getty Images

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed in an interview that he is unsure that the new V6 turbo engines will have a positive impact on Formula One.

The new engines are set to be used from 2014 onwards in an attempt to reduce costs, but Ecclestone fears it could have the opposite effect.

“What I tried to say to them [the teams] the other day is that they will have to spend a lot more money if they get it wrong,” Ecclestone told Autoweek. “The danger is that what will happen is what always happens with the manufacturers, which is that if it doesn’t work they will stop.”

Ecclestone was also worried that fans would not go to the grand prix live if the sound of the engines was not the same.

“There is a danger that the public may not visit the races because the sound isn’t what it was. I absolutely think it is a real possibility. People like what we have got. They like everything about it.

“Maybe we can make them sound like the current engines.”

The F1 supremo did however rule out a last-minute change in the rules for next season.

“The regulations have been passed and approved.”

Ecclestone’s comments will cause some concern for the engine manufacturers who have already spent so much money on developing the new engines. Quite whether his predictions materialize will be revealed next season, but fans of the V12 and V10 era will be dismayed by the switch to V6 engines.

1. Raggs - Apr 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM

F1 is dying a slow death until the troll Bernie leaves the sport for good. He’s made some really horrible decisions for the sport the last 10 years.

• off2glamis - Apr 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Raggs you got that right. F1 has the fastest cars and the best drivers and pit crews that can change 4 tires adjust a wing and get the car out in under 3 seconds. NASCAR is just flat boring compared to F1, F1 needs a promoter who knows how to market the best motorsport on earth!!!!

• indycarseries500 - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Isn’t that what they’ve had for almost 40 years now. Hate to tell all of you this Bernie Eccelstone is THE reason for all of F1 success.

• apexassassin - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

He’s done a lot for the benefit of F1 too. But people only see the mistakes and bad ideas….

and I hate the current F1 formula. Small engines that can’t be developed, crappy tyres, kers, drs, excluding 1 team from compenstaion because they didn’t finish the season in 10th out of 11, etc.

• chaparral2f - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM

If the sport is dying a slow death, which I don’t believe, then much of the blame lays at the feet of the FIA and rules that stifle engineering breakthroughs. Every time a team comes out with a new idea, it is squashed, no doubt in part because Ferrari can’t keep up with the technology. That my friend is why F1 is in trouble.

• purplesectornet - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM

The thing is F1 isn’t in trouble…not even close. So since the entire premise is bogus, the whole discussion is moot.

2. techmeister1 - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Bernie as usual hasn’t got a clue. Most fans wouldn’t know the difference in exhaust sound if you explained it to them. The V-6 Turbo engines will have a more throaty sound than the high pitched, ear piercing 2.4L V-8 engines but so what? The V-6 engines may make it more enjoyable to actually watch a race.

• apexassassin - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM

3,000 less rpms. And that’s after Bernie and the teams lobbyed for 15,000 redline versus the original 12,000. That’s the difference.

• chaparral2f - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Dude, let’s face it. F1 is for hardcore racing fans. The mindless masses go to other forms of racing. To the purist, the sound difference alone will be easily recognizable. If F1 is appealing to a broader audience, then we are all in trouble. People are delusional if they think that your average person would even tune into an F1 race. How many people even have NBC Sports?

3. worknman24hours - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Keying on the sound is simply baffling.

Those V-6′s might be just evil sounding as they will no doubt be winding their guts out.

I am much more disgusted with parts rules that penalize drivers and teams for pushing the equipment to it’s very limits.

You break a motor or transmission because you are pushing the car as hard as you can and you get pushed back in the field at the start.

It’s totally ridiculous.

• apexassassin - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I’m ust going assume you’ve never heard a f1 car in person.

Totally agree with the last 3 sentences though. Why they would try and make F1 an endurance series with 2 hour races is just plain retarded to me. Same with no testing or engine developement.

And before someone says something about saving money let me add 1. there is no RRA in place. & 2. F1 couldn’t save money if it had a direct deposit savings account. & 3. F1 throws money away.

KERS for example isn’t even related to the ERS systems and both technologies are taken from existing road cars, unlike the good old days when F1 technology would eventually find it’s way into road cars….

it’s just the worng busniness model unless every supercar is to be a hybrid… like the NSX, 918, P2, LaFerrari, hmmmm seeing a pattern here. Damn I hate the future.

• markdartj - Apr 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

yet they are given crappy (by design and regulation) tires to race with. Really doesn’t make sense when one steps back and looks at it, does it?

4. apexassassin - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

v6 turbos will never sound as good as a v12. Never.

Why anyone would try and combine so called “green” technology with racing is beyond me. Save that garbage for Le Mans and Formula E.

5. purplesectornet - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

F1 is dying a slow death because of Bernie? LOL. I love reading what the totally uninformed and clueless internet expert has to say, it’s great comedy relief…LMAO.

• Raggs - Apr 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Hey jackass, it was my opinion. Never claimed to be an expert, but I consider myself to be far from uninformed or clueless. I’m a fan of the sport, in the country the F1 would love to increase it’s fanbase…and the way Bernie the Troll has ran F1 the last couple of years has NOT been proactive in the popularity of the sport.

What drew my attention to F1 was the fact that these guys were at the top of racing. They had the fastest cars, the most expensive race teams, legendary tracks of which many now have been dropped from the schedule. It has become a sport too concerned with costs. I don’t care how much money one team spends over another…that’s the point. To be the best, no matter the cost.

That is F1. How did you like qualifying for China today? Was that F1? Tires that can’t even last 3 laps…so nobody runs for half of qualifying. That was very entertaining.

• purplesectornet - Apr 14, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Only jackass is you pal. Bernie has made F1 one of the greatest sports on the planet. The fact that F1 is in China speaks for itself. I’m sick and tired of you so called know-it-alls telling us that F1 is in trouble…it’s the greatest motorsport on the planet and has been for some time so seriously pal….you can effing EAT IT.

• purplesectornet - Apr 14, 2013 at 5:35 AM

No wait after watching the race just now you are so right! F1 is horrible!!! BWAAA HA HA how does it feel to sound like a complete idiot?

6. chaparral2f - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I suppose Todt and the FIA feel that F1 needs to be relevant to today’s passenger cars with greater emphasis on efficiency and reduced emissions as well as the fact that engines are getting smaller and using turbocharging. However, F1 has NEVER been relevant to what people drive on the street. It is too bad that Bernie, with all his influence, was unable to derail the 2014 engine formula. Not sure where F1 is headed, but I don’t feel positive about the next 10-15 years from now.

7. purplesectornet - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It’s not too bad at all. You just can’t listen to the so called internet experts about this kind of stuff. I’ve looked into this new formula extensively and it is very smart. Lots of room for innovation. Bernie is worried about marketing, I don’t care about that really. F1 is a strong enough brand to take a slight hit.

If you appreciate engineering and look into this – any true F1 fan in my opinion should be celebrating this change…lots of new technology. F1 is technology – to complain about the introduction of a more advanced and technical engine formula to me, well I just don’t get the complaint, this is what Formula One is all about.

Good thing Bernie does not make these decisions and technical people do.

• Raggs - Apr 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Wow! After watching the race, you’re right! How exciting!

My favorite part was when Button and Vettel used the radio to ask their engineer if they could race for position, or were they supposed to continue to manage their tires? Thrilling! And then, when Vettel had the lead and fought off Alonso..oh wait that didn’t happen, he couldn’t defend the position because he needed to get 5 more laps on those tires at the desired pace. Absolutely Intoxicating!

You’re right…this is so much fun to watch!

Even the drivers aren’t happy with the way things are now. They’re not allowed to race, they have to manage the tires, push for 2 laps, then sit and wait until you can pit and get to race for 2 laps again. That’s the pinnacle of racing?

As for how do I feel? I’m not sure exactly how I’m the idiot after that race. You like the sport for what it is now…I don’t.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA