Apr 7, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
Third-place finisher Helio Castroneves couldn’t hold off Ryan Hunter-Reay and Scott Dixon in the final stages of today’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama, but in the big picture, he was still a winner as he moved into first place in the IZOD IndyCar Series standings.
After dropping four positions in a frenzied opening lap of the race, Castroneves and his No. 3 Team Penske crew opted to change their strategy. The Brazilian pitted relatively early on Lap 18, but rose up to third position when the other leaders made their first stops roughly ten laps later. He would stay up front for the rest of the afternoon through stops at Laps 42 and 67, and paced 25 laps before Hunter-Reay got to the inside of him on Lap 76 and grabbed the point for good coming out of Turn 5.
“That was a shame on the start, but when we changed to Plan B, we just decided to go for it,” Castroneves said. “It paid off and it wasn’t a win but for us, for the championship, it is good and right now, we just have to keep going. We need to keep going and you have to put yourself out there…and that is what we just did today.”
Not helping Castroneves in his bid to stay at P1 was the fact that he was running the Firestone primary blacks during his final stint, while Hunter-Reay and Dixon ended their races on the alternate reds. Castroneves felt it was an unavoidable consequence of his team’s strategy decision.
“That’s the price we paid,” he told NBC Sports Network after the race.
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3