Apr 7, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
Charlie Kimball topped this morning’s warm-up session for the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama (3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) with a time of 1 minute, 9.0313 seconds around the 2.3-mile Barber Motorsports Park layout. Kimball is aiming for his second career IZOD IndyCar Series podium and will start fifth on the grid this afternoon after cracking the Firestone Fast Six for the first time ever yesterday in qualifying.
Kimball was followed by fellow Honda-powered driver Josef Newgarden (Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing), who finished P2 in the warm-up with a time of 1 minute, 9.1685 seconds. Tony Kanaan of KV Racing Technology led the Chevrolet camp this morning with the third-fastest lap (1 minute, 9.3080 seconds), with Scott Dixon (1 minute, 9.4123 seconds) and Simona de Silvestro (1 minute, 9.4301 seconds) completing the top five.
As for your front row for today’s 90-lap main event, defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay and defending Barber champion Will Power were 18th and 19th-fastest respectively, with both drivers posting times in the 1:10 range (Hunter-Reay at 1:10.6615, Power at 1:10.6809).
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2