Apr 7, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
Charlie Kimball topped this morning’s warm-up session for the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama (3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) with a time of 1 minute, 9.0313 seconds around the 2.3-mile Barber Motorsports Park layout. Kimball is aiming for his second career IZOD IndyCar Series podium and will start fifth on the grid this afternoon after cracking the Firestone Fast Six for the first time ever yesterday in qualifying.
Kimball was followed by fellow Honda-powered driver Josef Newgarden (Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing), who finished P2 in the warm-up with a time of 1 minute, 9.1685 seconds. Tony Kanaan of KV Racing Technology led the Chevrolet camp this morning with the third-fastest lap (1 minute, 9.3080 seconds), with Scott Dixon (1 minute, 9.4123 seconds) and Simona de Silvestro (1 minute, 9.4301 seconds) completing the top five.
As for your front row for today’s 90-lap main event, defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay and defending Barber champion Will Power were 18th and 19th-fastest respectively, with both drivers posting times in the 1:10 range (Hunter-Reay at 1:10.6615, Power at 1:10.6809).
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 1
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 53
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 2
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 6
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1