Apr 7, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing driver Charlie Kimball has his paint scheme inverted this weekend. On Saturday, his qualifying result was turned upside down as well.
In two-plus seasons of IZOD IndyCar competition, Kimball’s best start was seventh at Motegi, Japan’s road course in 2011, but in 2012 he didn’t better 13th at any point. After 14th in St. Petersburg, Kimball advanced to his first Firestone Fast Six with P5 on the grid.
“I think we went away over the winter and sort of evaluated where we needed to make progress,” Kimball said. “The whole Novo Nordisk team is focused on that as a group, being able to learn from Scott and Dario from all of last year’s data and have the time on the winter to apply it.”
Kimball’s team rolled off the truck with the No. 83 Race with Insulin Dallara-Honda closer to the sharp end of the grid this weekend, and it’s paid dividends.
“We had a good test before Christmas here. In the open test we made progress,” Kimball said of the two offseason tests he and the CGR squad had at Barber. “We didn’t come with the best car and left with a big step forward. When we came back here, we sort of were a little more prepared and still managed to take a step from the open test to here.”
Kimball’s fastest lap through three sessions was 1:07.1552 in the first session, although his time in the Fast Six was three tenths slower on a warmer track. That was still four tenths off Scott Dixon’s new track record lap, but well ahead of Dario Franchitti.
Whether the result is an aberration or a sign of things to come remains to be seen. For now though, Kimball and the Novo Nordisk team has taken their first step toward the next level in the fiercely competitive field.
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 5