Apr 8, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
A lawsuit that’s been on the back burner may re-emerge regarding Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Speedway Motorsports Inc. and Charlotte Motor Speedway filed the lawsuit against Carrabus County but it was dismissed by a judge last year. On Tuesday, a three-judge state Court of Appeals panel will decide whether the lawsuit will be heard by a jury.
SMI head Bruton Smith proposed adding a new drag strip and updates to CMS, one of the tracks in the SMI empire, with $80 million in incentives announced back in 2007. It is unclear whether SMI has seen any of that amount. The agreement for any updates or moving was verbal before it was put in writing.
The county alleges that it is not its responsibility that SMI built the new drag strip, ZMAX Raceway, and made other improvements to CMS before the contract was finalized.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2