Apr 8, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
A lawsuit that’s been on the back burner may re-emerge regarding Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Speedway Motorsports Inc. and Charlotte Motor Speedway filed the lawsuit against Carrabus County but it was dismissed by a judge last year. On Tuesday, a three-judge state Court of Appeals panel will decide whether the lawsuit will be heard by a jury.
SMI head Bruton Smith proposed adding a new drag strip and updates to CMS, one of the tracks in the SMI empire, with $80 million in incentives announced back in 2007. It is unclear whether SMI has seen any of that amount. The agreement for any updates or moving was verbal before it was put in writing.
The county alleges that it is not its responsibility that SMI built the new drag strip, ZMAX Raceway, and made other improvements to CMS before the contract was finalized.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 9
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0