Apr 8, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
A lawsuit that’s been on the back burner may re-emerge regarding Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Speedway Motorsports Inc. and Charlotte Motor Speedway filed the lawsuit against Carrabus County but it was dismissed by a judge last year. On Tuesday, a three-judge state Court of Appeals panel will decide whether the lawsuit will be heard by a jury.
SMI head Bruton Smith proposed adding a new drag strip and updates to CMS, one of the tracks in the SMI empire, with $80 million in incentives announced back in 2007. It is unclear whether SMI has seen any of that amount. The agreement for any updates or moving was verbal before it was put in writing.
The county alleges that it is not its responsibility that SMI built the new drag strip, ZMAX Raceway, and made other improvements to CMS before the contract was finalized.
Video from NASCAR America
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 1
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 1
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 1
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 8
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0
- McLaren reveals Honda-powered MP4-30 for 2015 F1 season 2