Apr 8, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Simon Pagenaud and rookie Tristan Vautier (pictured) made up for a rough start to the IndyCar season at St. Petersburg with Top-10 efforts yesterday at Barber Motorsports Park.
Pagenaud qualified 13th and quietly worked his way up to sixth place at the finish after going on an alternate pit strategy (he first pitted early on Lap 18), while Vautier (who qualified third) ran as high as second in the race’s early stages before fading back to tenth. Both drivers were knocked out by exhaust issues in the season-opening race at St. Pete two weeks ago.
“Today was a good day, and sometimes a sixth place can feel like a win,” Pagenaud said. “We had a great race car that was consistent and fast. Coming from 13th to sixth was great and we were able to fight with the main guys. I’m pretty happy with the result today because it’s good points for the championship.”
Meanwhile, Vautier, who has shown impressive bursts of talent in his first few IndyCar races, was left slightly disappointed following Sunday’s run despite collecting his first Top-10 in the series.
“Today was a pretty tough race,” he said. “I learned a lot and that’s good, but really, I was struggling with space and I asked my engineer for a little too many changes and wasn’t quite there on the pure speed.
“I made a few mistakes, three big mistakes that cost us a lot. I think next time, I just need a better pace and to avoid those mistakes.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 76
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 11
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1