Apr 8, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Three days after the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama, IZOD IndyCar Series tire manufacturer Firestone will conduct a test this coming Wednesday at Pocono (Penn.) Raceway in order to determine what they’ll be bringing for the series’ debut there on July 7.
According to The Morning Call of Allentown, Penn., Marco Andretti of Andretti Autosport, Dario Franchitti of Target Chip Ganassi Racing, Simon Pagenaud of Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports, and Will Power of Team Penske will all take part in the session — which is free and open to the public. The Morning Call advises fans to enter the parking lots through Pocono’s Gate No. 5 at Andretti Road, and to bring their own coolers since concession stands will not be open for the test.
The current track record at Pocono sits at 211.715 miles per hour, which was posted in qualifying for the 1989 CART race by Emerson Fittipaldi. That race, won by Danny Sullivan, was the last open-wheel event to date at “The Tricky Triangle,” which was added to the 2013 IndyCar schedule last October.
Pocono’s 400-mile race in July will make up part of the Triple Crown alongside the Indianapolis 500 and the season-ending MAV TV 500 at Auto Club Speedway.
Video from NASCAR America
- The most memorable moments of IndyCar 2014 (so far) 0
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 0
- With nothing to lose, IndyCar title contender Pagenaud charges into Fontana 0
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 29
- Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 21
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0