Apr 8, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
You know the Internet saying, “Don’t feed the trolls?” Martinsville Speedway NASCAR Sprint Cup Series winner Jimmie Johnson took time to offer a humorous tweet to dismiss any critics on Twitter.
“You haters have it right. I’m a bad teammate, I have a cheated up car, I’m lucky and the race was fixed. Gotta love twitter & #NascarFans,” Johnson tweeted Monday.
Johnson followed-up with a serious moment of reflection shortly thereafter.
“On a serious note, thanks for all of the tweets. I really appreciate the support from all my fans. #Team48 #6pack.”
The win was Johnson’s eighth at Martinsville, and perhaps a fitting bounce back after a year ago in the spring race, when contact with Clint Bowyer sent those two and Jeff Gordon spinning from win contention.
Bowyer, ever the colorful character, offered his “congratulations” in a snark-laden tweet of his own late Sunday night after finishing second.
“And……………congrats to @JimmieJohnson on yet another damn clock. #shithead” he wrote.
Video from NASCAR America
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1
- Different agendas for Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. at Homestead test 2
- NBC, NBCSN set for mega U.S. Grand Prix weekend of coverage from Austin 2