Apr 8, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
You know the Internet saying, “Don’t feed the trolls?” Martinsville Speedway NASCAR Sprint Cup Series winner Jimmie Johnson took time to offer a humorous tweet to dismiss any critics on Twitter.
“You haters have it right. I’m a bad teammate, I have a cheated up car, I’m lucky and the race was fixed. Gotta love twitter & #NascarFans,” Johnson tweeted Monday.
Johnson followed-up with a serious moment of reflection shortly thereafter.
“On a serious note, thanks for all of the tweets. I really appreciate the support from all my fans. #Team48 #6pack.”
The win was Johnson’s eighth at Martinsville, and perhaps a fitting bounce back after a year ago in the spring race, when contact with Clint Bowyer sent those two and Jeff Gordon spinning from win contention.
Bowyer, ever the colorful character, offered his “congratulations” in a snark-laden tweet of his own late Sunday night after finishing second.
“And……………congrats to @JimmieJohnson on yet another damn clock. #shithead” he wrote.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1