Apr 8, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
F1 veteran and Pirelli brand ambassador Jean Alesi has defended the current generation of F1 tires following criticism of their performance.
“From a tire point of view, the drivers will have to find the best compromise between performance and degradation, which is exactly the way that it has always been in Formula One,” said Alesi.
“I raced through many different tire regulations and suppliers during my career – even in the era of qualifying tires – and while they all had different aspects, Pirelli is the company that has supplied the most entertainment to all the fans: so far we have seen two fantastic races.
“This is exactly what was asked, and in my opinion just what the sport needed.
“One thing that doesn’t change at all is that the best teams will always be the most successful, so there is no point for anybody to complain because this will always quite rightly be the case, whatever you do with the regulations.”
Alesi used Pirelli tires during his first full season of F1 with Tyrrell in 1990. He caused a storm in the first race of the season at Phoenix by leading almost half the race while resisting pressure from Ayrton Senna’s Goodyear-shod McLaren.
Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery added he expects teams will get used to the new tires as they have done in the past two seasons:
“With all our compounds having got softer this year the degradation is deliberately more extreme leading to increased performance, but history has shown that it never takes too long for the teams and drivers to get on top of the tires.”
- NHRA: Beckman blazes to second Funny Car win of season at Kansas; Crampton, Enders-Stevens also win 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 6
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 52
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0