Apr 8, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
F1 veteran and Pirelli brand ambassador Jean Alesi has defended the current generation of F1 tires following criticism of their performance.
“From a tire point of view, the drivers will have to find the best compromise between performance and degradation, which is exactly the way that it has always been in Formula One,” said Alesi.
“I raced through many different tire regulations and suppliers during my career – even in the era of qualifying tires – and while they all had different aspects, Pirelli is the company that has supplied the most entertainment to all the fans: so far we have seen two fantastic races.
“This is exactly what was asked, and in my opinion just what the sport needed.
“One thing that doesn’t change at all is that the best teams will always be the most successful, so there is no point for anybody to complain because this will always quite rightly be the case, whatever you do with the regulations.”
Alesi used Pirelli tires during his first full season of F1 with Tyrrell in 1990. He caused a storm in the first race of the season at Phoenix by leading almost half the race while resisting pressure from Ayrton Senna’s Goodyear-shod McLaren.
Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery added he expects teams will get used to the new tires as they have done in the past two seasons:
“With all our compounds having got softer this year the degradation is deliberately more extreme leading to increased performance, but history has shown that it never takes too long for the teams and drivers to get on top of the tires.”
- WATCH LIVE: Sonoma second practice at 10:30 a.m. PT, 1:30 ET, on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6