Apr 8, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
Formula One will be returning to cinema screens soon with Rush, the first trailer for which has just been released.
The film is set during the 1976 Formula One season and focuses on the famous battle for supremacy between McLaren’s James Hunt and Ferrari’s Niki Lauda.
As the trailer shows, Lauda’s fiery crash at the Nurburgring Nordschleife in the tenth race of the season is a significant part of the plot. Lauda was 26 points ahead of Hunt in the championship at the time (a win was worth nine) and his enforced absence from the next two races brought Hunt into contention for the title.
The role of British driver Hunt is played by Australian actor Chris Hemsworth, who has also appeared in the recent Star Trek film as well as Thor. German Daniel Bruhl plays the Austrian Lauda.
A collection of classic F1 cars were assembled to film the action sequences, as well as some specially-built replicas of cars that were not available.
Rush is slated for release on September 20th in the USA. But it’s not the only movie motor racing fans have to look forward to this year.
DreamWorks’ animated feature Turbo tells the story of a snail who wants to race in the Indianapolis 500. Here’s the trailer:
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 4
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1