Apr 8, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
Formula One will be returning to cinema screens soon with Rush, the first trailer for which has just been released.
The film is set during the 1976 Formula One season and focuses on the famous battle for supremacy between McLaren’s James Hunt and Ferrari’s Niki Lauda.
As the trailer shows, Lauda’s fiery crash at the Nurburgring Nordschleife in the tenth race of the season is a significant part of the plot. Lauda was 26 points ahead of Hunt in the championship at the time (a win was worth nine) and his enforced absence from the next two races brought Hunt into contention for the title.
The role of British driver Hunt is played by Australian actor Chris Hemsworth, who has also appeared in the recent Star Trek film as well as Thor. German Daniel Bruhl plays the Austrian Lauda.
A collection of classic F1 cars were assembled to film the action sequences, as well as some specially-built replicas of cars that were not available.
Rush is slated for release on September 20th in the USA. But it’s not the only movie motor racing fans have to look forward to this year.
DreamWorks’ animated feature Turbo tells the story of a snail who wants to race in the Indianapolis 500. Here’s the trailer:
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 0
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)