Apr 10, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
JR Hildebrand’s been known to light the tires before when driving or testing some American muscle cars. Now the third year Panther Racing driver will have a chance to put that practice into race situations later this year, in Formula Drift.
Hildebrand will race with Tyler McQuarrie’s drift team at two IndyCar off weekends, Seattle July 19-20 and Irwindale Oct. 11-12. The friendship came together via their mutual relationship with sponsor GoPro, and the No. 6 Chevrolet Camaro will also be sponsored by Mobil 1.
“I’m pumped to join Tyler with his Camaro program and to get into Formula D,” Hildebrand said. “Since as early as 2004 I’ve thought drifting was an awesome and unique area of motorsport, so I’m very excited to finally get involved myself.”
It’s been a less than stellar start to his IndyCar season, with an accident in St. Petersburg and 17th in Barber – both from just 24th spot on the grid.
With one of three races in California up next for IndyCar, Hildebrand looks to reverse his luck in his home state. The Northern California native finished fifth at last year’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach after a similarly frustrating first two races.
Video from NASCAR America
- It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14 3
- When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again? 2
- Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa 6
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 12
- The 2014 Milwaukee IndyFest weekend high on promise, with more positives than negatives 5
- NASCAR’s worst-kept secret is official: Carl Edwards joins Joe Gibbs Racing from 2015 4
- Report: Comcast’s Xfinity, NASCAR closer to series sponsorship deal 0