Apr 10, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
JR Hildebrand’s been known to light the tires before when driving or testing some American muscle cars. Now the third year Panther Racing driver will have a chance to put that practice into race situations later this year, in Formula Drift.
Hildebrand will race with Tyler McQuarrie’s drift team at two IndyCar off weekends, Seattle July 19-20 and Irwindale Oct. 11-12. The friendship came together via their mutual relationship with sponsor GoPro, and the No. 6 Chevrolet Camaro will also be sponsored by Mobil 1.
“I’m pumped to join Tyler with his Camaro program and to get into Formula D,” Hildebrand said. “Since as early as 2004 I’ve thought drifting was an awesome and unique area of motorsport, so I’m very excited to finally get involved myself.”
It’s been a less than stellar start to his IndyCar season, with an accident in St. Petersburg and 17th in Barber – both from just 24th spot on the grid.
With one of three races in California up next for IndyCar, Hildebrand looks to reverse his luck in his home state. The Northern California native finished fifth at last year’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach after a similarly frustrating first two races.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 0
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1