Apr 10, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
Will Power’s among a handful of drivers testing today at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pa., in preparation for the IZOD IndyCar Series race there July 7.
“I’m really looking forward to Pocono, as it should be interesting around that place,” he said in an interview with MotorSports Talk earlier this week. “To pull off the Triple Crown (a sweep of Indianapolis, Pocono and Fontana) would be pretty massive.”
Power’s regarded as the dominant street and road course driver in IndyCar, but for whatever reason has struggled to capture the same results on ovals. In five oval starts last year, Power had only one top-10 finish and finished in a tie for 17th in the oval points standings.
“I think, to be honest, it’s not speed that’s the issue,” he said of his oval results. “It’s as simple as I gotta finish races this year.
“If you look at bad luck, or unfortunate incidents, I had (Mike) Conway spin ahead of me with a damaged wing at Indy, I got a drive-through at Texas for blocking where I could have won, and Iowa I turned down on a guy I didn’t see.
“It would be great if it was just one thing. But it’s a bunch of random incidents. You just keep plugging away and focusing on the job. All the ovals – Indy, Milwaukee, Pocono – they’re all so different. But I’m looking forward to them. It’s fun racing.”
After Long Beach in a week and Brazil in early May, the series heads to Indianapolis in May for the 500-miler and a couple weeks of practice. Indianapolis starts a stretch of five oval races, culminating with Pocono, in the next seven events.
- Bourdais quickest in opening practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1