Apr 10, 2013, 12:47 PM EDT
Will Power’s among a handful of drivers testing today at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pa., in preparation for the IZOD IndyCar Series race there July 7.
“I’m really looking forward to Pocono, as it should be interesting around that place,” he said in an interview with MotorSports Talk earlier this week. “To pull off the Triple Crown (a sweep of Indianapolis, Pocono and Fontana) would be pretty massive.”
Power’s regarded as the dominant street and road course driver in IndyCar, but for whatever reason has struggled to capture the same results on ovals. In five oval starts last year, Power had only one top-10 finish and finished in a tie for 17th in the oval points standings.
“I think, to be honest, it’s not speed that’s the issue,” he said of his oval results. “It’s as simple as I gotta finish races this year.
“If you look at bad luck, or unfortunate incidents, I had (Mike) Conway spin ahead of me with a damaged wing at Indy, I got a drive-through at Texas for blocking where I could have won, and Iowa I turned down on a guy I didn’t see.
“It would be great if it was just one thing. But it’s a bunch of random incidents. You just keep plugging away and focusing on the job. All the ovals – Indy, Milwaukee, Pocono – they’re all so different. But I’m looking forward to them. It’s fun racing.”
After Long Beach in a week and Brazil in early May, the series heads to Indianapolis in May for the 500-miler and a couple weeks of practice. Indianapolis starts a stretch of five oval races, culminating with Pocono, in the next seven events.
Video from NASCAR America
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 0
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 1
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1