Apr 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Rahal Letterman Lanigan will add a third car for the Indianapolis 500 alongside full-time drivers Graham Rahal and James Jakes (pictured).
“The driver and the sponsor are to be announced,” team co-owner Bobby Rahal told Autoweek last Friday at Barber Motorsports Park. “But we’ll have three.”
Last year at Indy, RLL ran a second car for Michel Jourdain, Jr., who drove for Rahal as a Champ Car full-timer from 2002-2004. The Mexican racer finished 19th in his first “500″ since 1996, and if the rumblings are correct, he may be a prime candidate for another run at the Brickyard with RLL this May.
According to Autosport‘s Mark Glendenning, Rahal’s move for an Indy-only program would make his squad the fourth to commit to one for this year’s Greatest Spectacle in Racing. Conor Daly has signed on for the “500″ at A.J. Foyt Racing, while Firestone Indy Lights driver Carlos Munoz will be in a fifth Andretti Autosport ride. In addition, Ryan Briscoe is expected to do a one-off at IMS with Chip Ganassi Racing.
RLL will field a third car for England’s Mike Conway at the next IZOD IndyCar Series race on the streets of Long Beach, California (Apr. 21, 4 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network).
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)