Apr 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Rahal Letterman Lanigan will add a third car for the Indianapolis 500 alongside full-time drivers Graham Rahal and James Jakes (pictured).
“The driver and the sponsor are to be announced,” team co-owner Bobby Rahal told Autoweek last Friday at Barber Motorsports Park. “But we’ll have three.”
Last year at Indy, RLL ran a second car for Michel Jourdain, Jr., who drove for Rahal as a Champ Car full-timer from 2002-2004. The Mexican racer finished 19th in his first “500” since 1996, and if the rumblings are correct, he may be a prime candidate for another run at the Brickyard with RLL this May.
According to Autosport‘s Mark Glendenning, Rahal’s move for an Indy-only program would make his squad the fourth to commit to one for this year’s Greatest Spectacle in Racing. Conor Daly has signed on for the “500” at A.J. Foyt Racing, while Firestone Indy Lights driver Carlos Munoz will be in a fifth Andretti Autosport ride. In addition, Ryan Briscoe is expected to do a one-off at IMS with Chip Ganassi Racing.
RLL will field a third car for England’s Mike Conway at the next IZOD IndyCar Series race on the streets of Long Beach, California (Apr. 21, 4 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network).
Video from NASCAR America
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 2