Apr 10, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
E.J. Viso and the rest of the IZOD IndyCar Series drivers are always keen on physical training to make sure they can handle the rigors of racing. But mental preparation is just as essential.
In an interview with Cesar Diaz of LatinoSports.com, Viso reveals that he tries to manage his emotions on a scale of 1-10, with seven being the optimal place for him. It’s a lesson he picked up from a sports psychologist that he worked with “for many years” until he recently passed away.
“When we are under seven, we think more with our head,” said Viso. “But when we are above seven, we think more with our heart. Of course, the perfect decision will be coming when you make a decision combining both. That’s where, merging around seven, it’s going to happen.”
As for his exploits on the track, Viso has shown solid efforts on race day so far this season for Andretti Autosport. In the season opener at St. Petersburg, Viso climbed from 22nd starting position to seventh at the finish, and last Sunday at Barber Motorsports Park, he gained two spots on the final lap to come home 12th.
But as can likely be gathered, qualifying has been a problem for him and his No. 5 team so far. It’s something that Viso is aiming to improve upon.
“So far, we’ve been weak in the two qualifying sessions in this championship,” he said to Diaz. “However, we’ve shown to be very fast and have good race craft during the race, so I believe that as soon as we improve qualifying, everything is going to come around.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 4