Apr 10, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
E.J. Viso and the rest of the IZOD IndyCar Series drivers are always keen on physical training to make sure they can handle the rigors of racing. But mental preparation is just as essential.
In an interview with Cesar Diaz of LatinoSports.com, Viso reveals that he tries to manage his emotions on a scale of 1-10, with seven being the optimal place for him. It’s a lesson he picked up from a sports psychologist that he worked with “for many years” until he recently passed away.
“When we are under seven, we think more with our head,” said Viso. “But when we are above seven, we think more with our heart. Of course, the perfect decision will be coming when you make a decision combining both. That’s where, merging around seven, it’s going to happen.”
As for his exploits on the track, Viso has shown solid efforts on race day so far this season for Andretti Autosport. In the season opener at St. Petersburg, Viso climbed from 22nd starting position to seventh at the finish, and last Sunday at Barber Motorsports Park, he gained two spots on the final lap to come home 12th.
But as can likely be gathered, qualifying has been a problem for him and his No. 5 team so far. It’s something that Viso is aiming to improve upon.
“So far, we’ve been weak in the two qualifying sessions in this championship,” he said to Diaz. “However, we’ve shown to be very fast and have good race craft during the race, so I believe that as soon as we improve qualifying, everything is going to come around.”
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 0
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 0
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1