Apr 11, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
With this weekend’s NRA 500 at Texas Motor Speedway the first race for NASCAR’s new Generation 6 car under the lights, teams had two test sessions on Thursday to acclimate the car to the cooler temperatures at the 1.5-mile oval.
As he did in Las Vegas, Greg Biffle led the day’s testing. Biffle turned 14 laps in the second session and a fast lap of 192.864 mph. The Busch brothers were next, with Kurt also in the 192 range in the No. 78 Furniture Row Chevrolet at 192.369, and Kyle fastest in the 191 range in the No. 18 M&Ms Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing (191.639).
This marked the first sessions for a handful of different drivers in new cars. Dillon, back in the No. 51 Phoenix Racing Chevrolet, clocked in seventh, with Brian Vickers 26th in Denny Hamlin’s usual No. 11 FedEx Toyota from JGR, and rookie Timmy Hill last of the 43 cars to take time in Frank Stoddard’s No. 32 FAS Lane Ford.
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2