Apr 11, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
1999 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Dale Jarrett (pictured, left, with current Cup champ Brad Keselowski) and Speedway Motorsports, Inc. CEO Bruton Smith are part of a group of five new nominees for the 2014 NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Jarrett, Smith, five-time Whelen All-American Series champ Larry Phillips, 1960 Cup champ Rex White, and engine builder Maurice Petty (brother of seven-time Cup champ Richard Petty) are the latest additions to the nominees’ list, now at 25.
Maurice Petty is the fourth member of Petty Enterprises to be nominated, with brother Richard, father Lee, and cousin Dale Inman (an eight-time championship crew chief) having already been inducted into the Hall in previous years.
According to Nate Ryan of USA Today, five inductees will be named from this group by a panel that includes the nominating committee, media members, industry figures, and a fan vote from the series’ web site. Voting day for the Class of 2014 is slated for May 22, although fans can now make their voices heard through May 21.
It will be the fifth induction class for the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Twenty other nominees are holdovers from last year’s ballot, and this particular group features many big names in the sport. Among them are racing heroes from the past such as Fred Lorenzen and Fireball Roberts, as well as team owners such as Rick Hendrick and Richard Childress. A full list of nominees can be found here.
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 1
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)