Apr 11, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
1999 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Dale Jarrett (pictured, left, with current Cup champ Brad Keselowski) and Speedway Motorsports, Inc. CEO Bruton Smith are part of a group of five new nominees for the 2014 NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Jarrett, Smith, five-time Whelen All-American Series champ Larry Phillips, 1960 Cup champ Rex White, and engine builder Maurice Petty (brother of seven-time Cup champ Richard Petty) are the latest additions to the nominees’ list, now at 25.
Maurice Petty is the fourth member of Petty Enterprises to be nominated, with brother Richard, father Lee, and cousin Dale Inman (an eight-time championship crew chief) having already been inducted into the Hall in previous years.
According to Nate Ryan of USA Today, five inductees will be named from this group by a panel that includes the nominating committee, media members, industry figures, and a fan vote from the series’ web site. Voting day for the Class of 2014 is slated for May 22, although fans can now make their voices heard through May 21.
It will be the fifth induction class for the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Twenty other nominees are holdovers from last year’s ballot, and this particular group features many big names in the sport. Among them are racing heroes from the past such as Fred Lorenzen and Fireball Roberts, as well as team owners such as Rick Hendrick and Richard Childress. A full list of nominees can be found here.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)