Vettel says Webber didn’t deserve to win

Apr 11, 2013, 8:24 AM EDT

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Sebastian Vettel took the “Multi 21” Malaysian Grand Prix controversy a step further on Thursday in China when he told the assembled press that Red Bull teammate Mark Webber didn’t deserve to win.

Vettel claimed he didn’t properly understand the coded message and would do such a passing maneuver again.

“Had I understood the message, then I think I would have thought about it, reflected on what it means, what the team wants me to do, to leave Mark in first place and me finishing second,” said Vettel. “And I think I would have thought about it and probably done the same thing because Mark doesn’t deserve that.”

Vettel doesn’t consider himself “the bad guy” and appeared to maintain a cheeky nature about it when pressed further by Reuters.

“I don’t like to talk ill of other people. It’s not my style. I think I said enough. The bottom line is that I was racing, I was faster, I passed him, I won,” he said.

In terms of support, if Vettel was asked to do so for Webber, he seems unlikely to do so. Vettel looks to be precisely self and team-focused first.

“Being completely honest, I never have support from his side,” Vettel said. “I’ve got a lot of support from the team and I think the team is supporting both of us the same way.

“I respect him a lot as a racing driver but I think there were more than one occasions in the past where he could have helped the team and he didn’t.”

Webber was part of the FIA Press Conference Thursday and addressed matters there.

1. wallio - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

While Seb is 100% right about Webber not giving him any help, there are much better ways of saying it. I understand trying to mentally bury someone Senna-style, but this is a bit much…..

2. bikingscr016 - Apr 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

What purpose does this serve Vettel by doing this?

• sabatimus - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

His ego. He’s got gobs of talent, which apparently gives him licence to be a prick….and a liar. He’s right about Webber, but to say he didn’t understand his team’s instruction is pure crap.

• apexassassin - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Well that happens when you achieve your dreams and make millions and become an international sports figure all before your old enough to buy beer. If Alonso and Hamilton can mature, I’m sure Seb will too. Hopefully that comes with decent haircut too.

Also, he did say immediately after the race and maintained that he didn’t get the message… thank god he made the pass though as the whole latter half of that race was boring otherwise and with a 3 week gap, it’s given the media something to beat beyond death.

3. techmeister1 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:53 PM

It’s unfortunate that Vettel has pretty much lost his mind. For the record Webber helped Vettel get his ride with Red Bull by having the team outfit the car with the Hitco brake system that Vettel was use to and preferred. Marc has supported Vettel up until Vettel’s head got so big the team had to start buying 10x model helmets for him.

Vettel has become an egomaniac due to Adrian Newey providing a superior car. Even with that Alonso out drove Vettel last season and by a unanimous vote from the paddock principals and other drivers, Alonso was morally the 1012 F1 champion. Had Romain Grosjean not crashed Alonso out on the first turn of the first lap, Alonso surely would have won the championship by a mile.

Vettel has turned a bad situation into a serious problem. There is no doubt that Webber will take the fall for Vettel’s uncivial behavior. That’s how Red Bull has treated Webber all along with removal of parts from Webbers car being installed on Vettel’s, different pit strategies, Webber’s DRS and KERS always having operational issues, etc. It’s just not possible for Webber’s car to sufffer all of these problems and Seb’s rarely has an issue. There is a concerted effort at Red Bull to be sure that Webber finishes second to Vettel.

To illustrate just how unscrupulous Vettel has become, he was a half of a second per lap slower than Webber through the entire race and he had the balls to radio the team and ask Webber to allow him to pass because according to Vettel, quote: “he’s too slow”. That from Vettel who was falling behing a half of a second per lap. Vettel had no chance of passing Webber had Webber not turned the engine power down as directed by the team. Vettel is just proving beyond the shadow of a doubt that he has serious head problems.

Video from NASCAR America

Which longshot will advance in Chase?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches