Webber: Clearer head, new haircut, ready to move on

Apr 11, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Previews Getty Images

Mark Webber seems to have a clearer head entering China in the wake of the Red Bull “Multi 21” team orders scandal in Malaysia.

Speaking at the FIA Press Conference on Thursday, Webber still said he is committed to Red Bull for the season and optimistic of challenging for more wins.

“Well, first of all, I’m definitely keen to finish the season off,” he said. “Obviously a lot of people were even questioning that one which was certainly not something that was in my mind. I’m definitely keen to race this year and put together a very strong campaign and challenge for more wins, and you do enough of that and some more things can happen.

“So that’s the first goal. The next part is yeah, year by year, that’s how it’s always been for me, so come the summer, I will talk to Dietrich (Mateschitz, Red Bull boss) and then go from there.”

Webber took Formula 1’s three-week break since Malaysia to go on holiday and got a drastic new haircut.

“I’m fine. I was always going to Australia after that race,” Webber said. “Obviously it was mentioned after the race in the press conference and people put two and three together and get more information I suppose. It was a little bit of a break for all of us – three weeks, it was Easter as well – so good to go down there for a bit of relaxation after the back of winter testing and the first few races.

As for the haircut? The hairdresser got too ambitious before Webber could control him…

“Well, I went to the hairdresser’s and he wanted to talk a lot and I said… I could see that I wanted to get in and out quite quick, so I said just shave it off,” he said. “When he was half way through before I thought shit, that’s a bit short now… but anyway it doesn’t matter. It’s practical, all good and yeah like you saw a few months too early but back to the old school haircuts. I used to get these when I was younger. Apparently I look younger now too so that’s a good sign.”

1. manchestermiracle - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

No fan of Red Bull, but now I’m pulling for Webber. Especially since Vettel has come off as a prima dona.

• chaparral2f - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM

It figures. You must also love Alonso. These two birds are of the same feather. For me, I love Seb and Massa. Pulling for Webber is like pulling for Lance Armstrong to win the Tour de France this year. Ain’t gonna happen. Never. Nunca!

2. apexassassin - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM

No fan of Red Bull, but I could never cheer for Webber. Even since Vettel has come off as a prima dona. :P

Seriously, will someone please feed Webber or get him some help for his eating disorder, it’s only making him weaker.

• chaparral2f - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Agreed. Webber is a weak driver and now he looks like an emaciated man with an eating disorder. I wish Webber would retire or move on to another form of racing. He will never be a champion.

3. chaparral2f - Apr 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Webber needs more than a new haircut. He needs a new brain. The guy is an arse, plain and simple. I have no pity for the guy. Amazingly, Seb’s pass of Webber makes me even like him more than I previously did. Methinks that the people calling Seb a prima dona might in fact, be the real prima dona’s.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA