Apr 12, 2013, 4:02 AM EDT
Felipe Massa has clearly signaled his return to form by finishing quickest in Free Practice 2 for the Chinese Grand Prix on Friday.
The Brazilian driver set a quickest time of 1:35.340 to finish the session ahead of Kimi Raikkonen for Lotus, whilst Fernando Alonso underlined Ferrari’s pace by finishing third.
Nico Rosberg and Mark Webber, both of whom starred in Free Practice 1 earlier on, managed to finish fourth and fifth, but the Red Bull was over three-quarters of a second behind the leading Ferrari, which could be cause for concern. Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton followed, over one second behind Massa, whilst Sebastian Vettel could only finish P10.
FP2 saw teams focus on their long runs in the second half of the session, meaning that Massa’s time set after 41 minutes was not bettered. During the long runs, the Brazilian driver was again impressive, with his engineer Rob Smedley telling him “your pace is not good, it’s incredible.” Similarly, Rosberg and Hamilton showed good long run pace as did the Force India pairing of Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta.
Tire wear was high throughout the session, and many teams found the soft tire troublesome. Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button both locked up on more than one occasion, but things were even worse for Max Chilton who was forced to pull over towards the end of the session due to a car problem. Hamilton said that he “had never seen anything like it” [the tire wear], but Ferrari seemed to manage its Pirelli rubber well.
With varying results in both practice sessions, it is difficult to see a pecking order emerging. This does however mean we are in for a thrilling qualifying tomorrow, although FP3 could reveal some more details a few hours before hand.
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0