Apr 12, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Army Staff Sgt. Fabian Hall has fought to defend our freedom and has also turned back cancer. This weekend, he’ll add another accomplishment: Cooking for NASCAR legend Richard Petty.
Through military charity Operation Homefront and Eckrich Foods (which sponsors the No. 43 Richard Petty Motorsports Ford driven by Aric Almirola in Sprint Cup), Hall will get to help man the grill for the No. 43 team during this weekend’s NASCAR activities at Texas Motor Speedway. On Saturday, he’ll prepare a special meal for seven-time Cup champion Petty and enjoy VIP treatment afterwards for that night’s NRA 500.
“I thought the race weekend was starting a little bit early when I saw the No. 43 come racing around the parking lot,” said Hall, who was surprised with the honor on Thursday night outside a Kroger grocery store in Fort Worth, Texas.
“I really didn’t know what was happening, but then Aric came out of the car and said I could come cook for the race team this weekend. I just can’t believe it. I’m still a bit shocked about everything that is happening, but it’s really cool. I can’t wait to cook for the race team this weekend.”
Hall, an avid cook that has made two tours of duty in Iraq, saw his service cut short upon his cancer diagnosis. After he returned to the States, Operation Homefront provided him and his two sons with a place to live at its “village” in San Antonio.
We’re happy to report that Hall’s cancer is now in remission, and that he now plans to become a culinary arts student.
“All of our military veterans are heroes, but when you hear a story like Fabian’s, who is a single father and who has survived cancer, it makes it even better to give back,” said Almirola. “We’re going to make sure he has a good time with the crew this weekend.”
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)