Apr 12, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
Army Staff Sgt. Fabian Hall has fought to defend our freedom and has also turned back cancer. This weekend, he’ll add another accomplishment: Cooking for NASCAR legend Richard Petty.
Through military charity Operation Homefront and Eckrich Foods (which sponsors the No. 43 Richard Petty Motorsports Ford driven by Aric Almirola in Sprint Cup), Hall will get to help man the grill for the No. 43 team during this weekend’s NASCAR activities at Texas Motor Speedway. On Saturday, he’ll prepare a special meal for seven-time Cup champion Petty and enjoy VIP treatment afterwards for that night’s NRA 500.
“I thought the race weekend was starting a little bit early when I saw the No. 43 come racing around the parking lot,” said Hall, who was surprised with the honor on Thursday night outside a Kroger grocery store in Fort Worth, Texas.
“I really didn’t know what was happening, but then Aric came out of the car and said I could come cook for the race team this weekend. I just can’t believe it. I’m still a bit shocked about everything that is happening, but it’s really cool. I can’t wait to cook for the race team this weekend.”
Hall, an avid cook that has made two tours of duty in Iraq, saw his service cut short upon his cancer diagnosis. After he returned to the States, Operation Homefront provided him and his two sons with a place to live at its “village” in San Antonio.
We’re happy to report that Hall’s cancer is now in remission, and that he now plans to become a culinary arts student.
“All of our military veterans are heroes, but when you hear a story like Fabian’s, who is a single father and who has survived cancer, it makes it even better to give back,” said Almirola. “We’re going to make sure he has a good time with the crew this weekend.”
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 0
- MotorSportsTalk’s IndyCar championship pre-Sunday post round-up 0
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1