Apr 12, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Williams F1 Team have endured another difficult Friday practice today in preparation for the Chinese Grand Prix, as the team and its drivers continue to struggle with the FW35 car.
“I feel we have moved a little bit forward since Malaysia,” explained Valtteri Bottas in a team statement. “We’ll see tomorrow where we are compared to the others in qualifying set-up. We need to work hard to maximize what we have here.”
Bottas finished eleventh in the Malaysian Grand Prix, which currently stands as the team’s best result in 2013. His teammate, Pastor Maldonado, has failed to finish a race so far this season, and the Venezuelan was far from pleased with his Friday running.
“We will see tomorrow in qualifying what steps we have made as it’s too early to say. The car felt like we had made some improvements during FP1, but we struggled this afternoon so we need to analyse the data to see how best to move forward.”
Furthering the drivers’ complaints, technical director Mike Coughlan said that he was not expecting an improvement in fortunes on Saturday.
“Long run tyre degradation looks like it will make things difficult in the race, but we’ll look at the data tonight to see what we can do. We feel we are moving in the right direction but there is still a long way to go and we now need to bring performance.”
It would seem that a realistic target for the team would be to make it into Q2 on Saturday, and perhaps challenge for the small points in the race on Sunday. If they can break their duck, it will certainly settle any nerves ahead of the European season.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0