Apr 12, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Susie Wolff is unconcerned by her lack of competitive racing this season as she focuses on testing duties for Williams F1 Team.
Over the years, many drivers have stagnated whilst in the test driver role, but Wolff defended her decision to quit German touring car series DTM at the end of last season.
“I’m so focused on my work with Williams that there really isn’t the capacity to do anything else,” Wolff explained to Richland F1. “I’m the kind of person who when I do something, I do it to the best of my ability.”
Wolff was also pleased to being playing a part in the development of the FW35, in a support role to full time drivers Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas.
“I have quite a lot on my shoulders and I’m incredibly proud to be a part of the team. The aero testing is important work and there isn’t anyone else apart from the race drivers who can do that work, so I feel quite a responsibility helping the people at Grove who are building those cars that I’ve got my part in the process right as well.”
At the beginning of the season, Wolff set herself the target of securing her FIA superlicense during 2013, but these plans have been shelved for the time being.
“At the start of the season the guys are very focused on getting back to where we should be, so nobody is really interested in talking about what we’re going to be doing in the mid-year tests yet. There’s a lot more important work to be done. I’ve got two aero tests lined up to do so that’ll be the next focus.”
Williams will be working hard behind the scenes to rectify their poor start to the season, and it is likely that Wolff will be playing a big part in this. If she can secure her superlicense in the near future, it may not be long until Formula One has a full time female driver on the grid.
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0