Apr 13, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
The Force India duo of Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil will go off from mid-pack for the Chinese Grand Prix, with di Resta narrowly missing Q3 for 11th on the grid and Sutil coming away with a 13th place start.
Di Resta was off the pace in FP3 at 16th position, but battled back when he needed to. Although he said a better FP3 would’ve allowed him to advance into the final round, he also reckons that his grid spot won’t matter much in a race that is shaping up to be about tire strategy.
“I don’t think that will make much difference tomorrow, because it’s going to be a race all about making the tires last,” he said on Saturday. “The good news is that we’ve got a free choice on tires for the start and our car has proved to be competitive over race distances, which means we can be optimistic of scoring points.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As for his teammate Sutil, he was hoping for better during qualifying but is also happy to have his pick of tires for the start on Sunday.
“There was no major problem with the car and I felt happy with the balance, but I lost some performance during qualifying and didn’t have the grip to go any faster,” he said. “The positive is that I’m able to choose my starting tires tomorrow and I have all new sets available for the race, which should allow us to target some points in the race.”
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 0
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0