Apr 13, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
Force India’s deputy team principal Bob Fernley has said that the team are unconcerned about Formula One returning to Bahrain next weekend despite the on-going tensions in the country.
Last year, two members of the team flew home after they were caught up in one of the protests, and drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Paul di Resta boycotted one of the free practice sessions due to the violence. However, Fernley believes that there will be no problems in 2013.
“Lightning doesn’t strike twice in the same place,” he told Reuters. “I am not expecting any issues at all, but there’s bound to be something.
“You’d be a bit foolish to think there’s not going to be some sort of protest and things like that, but that’s good. If Formula One activates some protests and they want to get things off their chests, that’s good as well.”
When asked about the decision to send the two team members home, Fernley explained that the weekend was trouble free otherwise.
“Once we’d got over that initial hiccup, we were fine. It was just that initial part that caused the problems. Once it was dealt with and we settled everything down again, the weekend went to plan for us.”
Action in Bahrain has intensified in the lead-up to the grand prix, but the race is expected to go ahead as normal.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Wednesday Round-Up Includes Denny Hamlin Interview (VIDEO) 0
- Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season 12
- Ten with Townsend: Toronto debrief 0
- Denny Hamlin’s team hit with big penalties after Brickyard infraction 4
- High 5: Chip Ganassi Racing’s win streak at Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 0