Apr 13, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo is looking forward to tomorrow’s Chinese Grand Prix following a strong showing in qualifying which saw the Australian driver finish in 7th place.
“It’s nice to be in Q3,” Ricciardo said in a team statement. “It’s the first time since Bahrain [where he qualified 6th] last year that I’ve made it to the top ten, so that’s nearly a whole year.
“I am definitely looking forward to having a strong race tomorrow and will give it all I’ve got to make the most of this seventh place on the grid.”
Ricciardo endured a nightmare at the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix, dropping from 6th to 16th off the line, but he is relishing the chance of scoring points in tomorrow’s race.
“I think it will be an exciting race. This result will boost everyone’s spirits, and mine as well and I really can’t wait for the lights to go out tomorrow. The guys have been working so hard back at the factory and they’ve made the car quicker, so well done to everyone.”
The result does mark a big step forward for Scuderia Toro Rosso following a mediocre start to the season, and Ricciardo will be keen on impressing to put himself in the running for Mark Webber’s seat at Red Bull next season should his compatriot not renew his contract.
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 0
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0