Apr 14, 2013, 6:45 AM EST
Lewis Hamilton may have scored back-to-back podiums, but the Mercedes driver feels that his team still has a lot of work to do if they are to compete for victories this season.
Hamilton started the race from pole position, but he lost out to Fernando Alonso early on and could not keep up with the Ferrari as the Spanish driver stormed to victory in China. Instead, Hamilton battled with Kimi Raikkonen for P2, and he lost out to the Lotus driver after being undercut at the final round of stops. The British driver did manage to hold off a charging Sebastian Vettel late on, but he is still unsure where Mercedes are losing out.
“I am not really sure where we are losing out,” he explained in an interview.
“Today the overall pace was not there and there are definitely a couple of areas we can focus on on the car.
“We have some updates and need to keep improving. We have to work out where we are losing the time, try and zone in on that and improve that.”
Hamilton was still pleased with 3rd though, and the 2008 world champion praised race winner Alonso for a great victory and 2nd placed Raikkonen.
“I am quite happy with third, though I would have loved to win.
“They were a little bit too fast for us during the race. I was able to apply a little bit of pressure to Kimi but not overtake.”
The result leaves Hamilton 4th in the drivers’ championship, just 12 points behind Sebastian Vettel, and if Mercedes can produced the desired upgrades it could be a very strong year for the Briton.
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1