Keselowski accuses NASCAR of targeting his team

Apr 14, 2013, 2:00 PM EST

Brad Keselowski AP

Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski angrily attacked NASCAR following last night’s NRA 500, accusing the sanctioning body of unfairly targeting his Penske Racing team.

The Penske cars of Keselowski and Joey Logano flunked pre-race inspection before the race at Texas Motor Speedway and had their rear-end housings confiscated. Keselowski (ninth) and Logano (fifth) still battled to earn top-10 finishes, but that didn’t stop the former from unleashing a tirade against NASCAR afterwards.

“I have one good thing to thing to say [about the race], and that was my team and the effort they put in today in fighting back with the absolute [expletive] that’s been the last seven days in this garage area,” Keselowski said according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“The things I’ve seen over the last seven days have me questioning everything I believe in. I’m not happy about it. I don’t have anything positive to say, and I probably should just leave it at that.”

In addition to his rules troubles at Texas, Keselowski was also slowed up in inspection prior to last week’s race at Martinsville — which saw him penalized on pit road at Lap 451 because his right front tire was outside of his pit stall. He still managed to finish sixth in that event.

To top it all off, Keselowski’s No. 2 Ford was chosen after the race as the “random” car to be taken back to NASCAR’s research and development center in North Carolina along with the winning car of Kyle Busch.

Keselowski’s engineer, Brian Wilson, seemed to encapsulate his team’s trying night on Twitter: “Well that was a fun day.”

1. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Apr 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM

No other sport delivers such consistent whining from their athletes.

• ditto65 - Apr 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

They tore his car apart right before the race. Whine appropriate.

2. djsgalaxy - Apr 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM

This kid needs to STFU. I don’t recall any other “champion” openly complaining as much as he does.. Maybe if he kept his trap shut, the officials wouldn’t be looking to stick it to him.

• ditto65 - Apr 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Except he is complaining after the fact. Nascar is a Good Ole Boy fraternity. Roger Penske is not a Good Ole Boy. They will allow the Penske cars to race read: bring sponsorship), but they do not like it when they win.

Try qualifying, getting through all the tech for the weekend, then have the officials change their mind and start confiscating parts – integral parts – of the car shortly before the race. Tell me you wouldn’t feel like there was a target on your back.

• bla bla bla - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I’d much rather listen to this kid say what’s on his mind than listen to 2 minutes of “athlete speak.”

“Well, we had a real good ABC, 123, Moose Oil, Tender Flakes Racing Toyota Ratbox today, but we just couldn’t get it done. I’m proud of all the guys in the pits and all the guys in the shop and my Aunt Betty that used to touch me funny, and….”

Video from NASCAR America