Apr 15, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
2004 Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Rice will join the Global Rallycross field for the X Games in Foz do Iguacu, Brazil. Rice will drive this coming Sunday’s event for Marklund Motorsport in one of their Volkswagen Polos.
With this being Rice’s debut in professional rallycross, it’s another accomplishment to add to his already solid resume. In addition to his Indy triumph with Rahal Letterman Racing (now Rahal Letterman Lanigan) back in ’04, Rice also won the overall Rolex 24 at Daytona title in 2009 with the Brumos Racing team.
“The rallycross deal is really exciting,” said Rice in a statement. “It’s a stadium format, it’s something that’s totally different, and I really have always liked new challenges. I think the more diverse you are, the better driver you become. I haven’t done this before, it’s something totally new to me, but I look forward to the challenge and seeing what I can do.”
Rice admitted that a full-time move to rallycross was “definitely a possibility,” and is hopeful that he can adapt quickly to the discipline. He will have no test time to acclimate himself before racing in Brazil.
“I’m going at this thing cold turkey,” he said. “I’ll be real green, but I’m going to be like a sponge. There are going to be lots of guys there with lots of talent, there are going to be some driver coaches on hand, so I’m just going to ask as many questions as I can.”
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)