Apr 15, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
2004 Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Rice will join the Global Rallycross field for the X Games in Foz do Iguacu, Brazil. Rice will drive this coming Sunday’s event for Marklund Motorsport in one of their Volkswagen Polos.
With this being Rice’s debut in professional rallycross, it’s another accomplishment to add to his already solid resume. In addition to his Indy triumph with Rahal Letterman Racing (now Rahal Letterman Lanigan) back in ’04, Rice also won the overall Rolex 24 at Daytona title in 2009 with the Brumos Racing team.
“The rallycross deal is really exciting,” said Rice in a statement. “It’s a stadium format, it’s something that’s totally different, and I really have always liked new challenges. I think the more diverse you are, the better driver you become. I haven’t done this before, it’s something totally new to me, but I look forward to the challenge and seeing what I can do.”
Rice admitted that a full-time move to rallycross was “definitely a possibility,” and is hopeful that he can adapt quickly to the discipline. He will have no test time to acclimate himself before racing in Brazil.
“I’m going at this thing cold turkey,” he said. “I’ll be real green, but I’m going to be like a sponge. There are going to be lots of guys there with lots of talent, there are going to be some driver coaches on hand, so I’m just going to ask as many questions as I can.”
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1