Apr 15, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
2004 Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Rice will join the Global Rallycross field for the X Games in Foz do Iguacu, Brazil. Rice will drive this coming Sunday’s event for Marklund Motorsport in one of their Volkswagen Polos.
With this being Rice’s debut in professional rallycross, it’s another accomplishment to add to his already solid resume. In addition to his Indy triumph with Rahal Letterman Racing (now Rahal Letterman Lanigan) back in ’04, Rice also won the overall Rolex 24 at Daytona title in 2009 with the Brumos Racing team.
“The rallycross deal is really exciting,” said Rice in a statement. “It’s a stadium format, it’s something that’s totally different, and I really have always liked new challenges. I think the more diverse you are, the better driver you become. I haven’t done this before, it’s something totally new to me, but I look forward to the challenge and seeing what I can do.”
Rice admitted that a full-time move to rallycross was “definitely a possibility,” and is hopeful that he can adapt quickly to the discipline. He will have no test time to acclimate himself before racing in Brazil.
“I’m going at this thing cold turkey,” he said. “I’ll be real green, but I’m going to be like a sponge. There are going to be lots of guys there with lots of talent, there are going to be some driver coaches on hand, so I’m just going to ask as many questions as I can.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 16
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15
- Report: McLaren trying for Vettel or Alonso 8
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2