Apr 15, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
2004 Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Rice will join the Global Rallycross field for the X Games in Foz do Iguacu, Brazil. Rice will drive this coming Sunday’s event for Marklund Motorsport in one of their Volkswagen Polos.
With this being Rice’s debut in professional rallycross, it’s another accomplishment to add to his already solid resume. In addition to his Indy triumph with Rahal Letterman Racing (now Rahal Letterman Lanigan) back in ’04, Rice also won the overall Rolex 24 at Daytona title in 2009 with the Brumos Racing team.
“The rallycross deal is really exciting,” said Rice in a statement. “It’s a stadium format, it’s something that’s totally different, and I really have always liked new challenges. I think the more diverse you are, the better driver you become. I haven’t done this before, it’s something totally new to me, but I look forward to the challenge and seeing what I can do.”
Rice admitted that a full-time move to rallycross was “definitely a possibility,” and is hopeful that he can adapt quickly to the discipline. He will have no test time to acclimate himself before racing in Brazil.
“I’m going at this thing cold turkey,” he said. “I’ll be real green, but I’m going to be like a sponge. There are going to be lots of guys there with lots of talent, there are going to be some driver coaches on hand, so I’m just going to ask as many questions as I can.”
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3